2005 WR450 and Baja Questions?

Has anyone rode baja on a WR450? How did your WR hold up? What changes and modifications did you make? What spare parts do I need to buy before hand? I am going for 4 days. :bonk::thumbsup:

Were Jah going, and how many miles are you planing on riding?:thumbsup:

This is what I do

15 Tooth counter sprocket (stock rear works fine)

Heavy duty tubes on both wheels

fresh tune up

JD jetting set for 0' to 4000'

spare parts

not much in this department most likely to get a flat than a dirty air filter, but since you'll be there 4 day's take a back up air filter ready to install just in case.

I carry extra tubes front and back

CO2 and pump

Zip ties heavy duty and regular ones

enough tools to fix minor repairs and tube swaps.

assorted nuts and bolts

I started taking my 05 WR to Baja during summer and its done a great job and held up good. Lights works good, its comfy, motor has plenty of juice for those long dirt roads and the suspension soaks up the whoops good if you have it set right. I would just slap on a stabilizer if your going to ride 200 plus miles to save a little bit of energy.

I have my bike set up for desert(off road skid plate, O/S tank, hand guards, etc ect) so that helps a great deal

I guess this could go on forever but the reality is to have fun and don't get lost carry a map and a GPS if you have one.

I'll be down there next weekend and again at the end of February for the TT Baja run.:bonk:

Feel free to ask me anything I'm no expert but love to chat about Baja :thumbsup:

Eddie

I am going with a tour groop so I am sure they will give us some tips too. What size gas tank/brand do you use?

IMS 3.2 gal.

The bike of choice for Baja is the XR 650 R for a lot of reasons. That said, my 04 WR 450 did great.

Things to have on you WR;

IMS 3.4 tank

15 front sprocket

Dunlop 952's

Skid plate/ disk gaurd/ chain guide

Brighter light- bulb/ Baja Designs tecate or Diablo

JD jet kit 0 - 3000'

Has anyone rode baja on a WR450? How did your WR hold up? What changes and modifications did you make? What spare parts do I need to buy before hand? I am going for 4 days. :bonk::thumbsup:

I ride my WR450 in baja all the time, heck, i live here in Ensenada!! WR's hold up great, i just run a 46 sprocket on the rear, scary fast on the long trails, gives my friends XR650's a run for the money, and in the tight stuff i smoke'em !!! Install an O/S gas tank, if you have the money, install a SCOTTS steering stabilizer, you will thank yourself on the trail when you hit a rut or a big size rock hidden in the washes!! Spares, hmmm, just a well prepared fanny pack with the basics, i carry screws, duct tape, electrical tape, extra spark plug, flash light, matches, a small piece of hose for gas (tank to tank), and that stuff for metal repairs (marine tech or somethign similar) great for repairing holes in clutch covers, radiator leaks...

Suspension set up is important also for jumping the big whoops!!

Let me know if i can help you further :thumbsup:

A few other things that will help;

Always carry your drivers liscense and registration.

HD tubes in your tires (Slime never hurts since there are a lot of nails and other trash that can give you a flat). 2-4 psi more air than you normaly use.

Watch out for animals, large and small. (I hit a dog my first day down there in November).

If your riding multiple days, an extra air filter element oiled and in a ziplock.

You will be riding in dust, and after a few days you will notice a lack of power from all the sand packed in your filter.

Check your oil a lot! The Hondas are worse for eating oil down there...but better safe than sorry!

Enjoy

1200 miles in Baja 05 wr450

Desert Tank(IMS)Non Dry break i got 93 miles to a tank It is good to have a buddy with the same tank and bike so you guys can run out of gas at the same time then you have someone to hang out with.

Steering Damper(GPR) a must one of the best improvements on the bike

Radiator Guards (Zip Ty) they work

TIRES (Maxxis) these tires are awesome never a flat, bent wheels but no flats ,the carcass on these tires are tough, stock tires suck tire pressure about 16 19 was nuts, theres alot of stuff to hit. In 1200 miles in Baja only got one flat on stock tires 2 miles from the truck( dodged that bullet)

TUBES(Heavy Duty)

High Bend Handlebars(APPLIED) These things rule for hundreds of miles

Suspension Revalved For Desert (Shock Therapy Temecula) Best improvment

New Grips(Renthal Dual Compund Soft) Lasted through baja 500

Buddy Tow Strap (great if you have someone to tow you)

Exhaust YZ450F Stock Silencer this really made the bike come alive and you dont need a spark arrestor in Mexico

Air Filter(No Toil) Works good

Hand Guards(Fast Way) They Broke

JD Jet Kit 0-3000 ( this is a must if you want the bike to come alive)

Storm Fuel Screw ( does the job)

Zip Ty Chain Guides Rollers I seen people rolling back into Ensenada witht hese things deinegrated

Regina Chain ATV O ring( Does the Job)

Afam Sprockets 15/ 45 worked great for going scary fast good in twisties

Zipt Ty Magnetic drain plug ( a lil insurance)

Frame guards (works conn.) These cover the rear master cylinder

Fastway Foot Pegs( these things work great for long rides)

Zipt TY Shark Fin ( insurance)

Stock Clutch made it 1200 in Baja

Something that will hold at least 3 litres of water( water is the most important thing) Sucking water out of cactuses isnt that bad after you get used to it, good for the lips.

Some kind of food. (when your out of water and gas at least you have something to eat)

A lighter-matches suck

cigarettes- these are great to have when you run out of gas and water and have to sleep on the floor, if you have smokes then you have a lighter, so then you can start a fire and stay warm, nothing like having a smoke lying on your chest protector next to the fire, listening to your buddy in shock moaning like a dying animal with a twisted leg and dehydrated.

GPS is a good thing it tells you that you exactly how far you are stranded from the main highway.

Ham Radio Completely worthless

Satelite Phone would be nice

Cell Phone worthless

I would recomend a pair of tie downs sounds lame, but after you slept in the dirt wake up in the morning and start pushing for a couple of miles in the sun and your buddy is threatening to drink his pee and telling you dude im really gonna drink my pee, and you beg him not to and the local guy pulls up in a truck and give you a lift to the local pemex and he's driving like he's racing the baja 1000 with 2 americans in the back of his truck with 2 motorcyles that are not tied down, really sucks more than carrying 2 tie downs.

Tools are good to have in a fanny pack

All the protective gear you can stand hanging off you body ( stuff just jumps out at you bushes, trees, rocks, snakes, not to mention crashing.

The one flat was the only mechanical failure on the bike, i wouldnt want anyother bike out there, so fun nimble when you need it and fun when your going fast. I love Baja, a very spiritual adventure.

Wish List

Dual HID Headlight( Baja Designs)

Headlight Wiring Kit (Baja Designs)

High Output Stator 220W (Electrex)

LED Tail Light

Hand Guards (Cycra)

Yosh Racing Exhaust

Zip Ty Magnetic Dipstick

Zip Ty Magnetic carb Float bowl plug

Zip Ty Petcock Knob

:thumbsup::bonk:

With this size tank on your WR did it make it feel heavy? About what did you spend for the tank and were did you get it? I too love Baja and will be going in May.

I have the Acerbis tank 3.3 gal, doesn't feel any heavier, carrying an extra gallon beats pushing 15 miles!!!

The gas tank is about $200.00, acerbis or IMS

i have mixed feelings on the IMS Tank it worked didnt feel heavy. Where it feeds fuel from one side of the tank to the other it gets really close to the exhaust, the first time out with it it melted the hose they give you with the tank, im suprised the bike didnt catch on fire in Ojos Negros.. I was able to rig it up nicely by wroping the head pipe with header wrap used the hard plastic fuel line, which dint flop around at all, and then covered that with silicon heat sleeve. It work fine never had a pproblem after that. My buddy with a yzf 450 with a white brothers exhaust get scary close to the exhaust because the head pipe has a different bend. The tank has yellowed since June, i wish i knew a wya to make it white again, not sure if it was the pemex gas or what. the acerbis looks like a nut buster. Its not as much work as it seems to make the IMS tank work great, i had all the stuff to make it work.

As for a skid plate the best one i found was the one from Utah Cycle Sport its awesome

I agree with the ID thing

Cash -is a good thing to have with you also when you get a ride to the pemex station and you only have 6 bux between ya, makes you think. A good thing about pemex that had a bathroom with a sink to drink water a lil crunchy but its free, i had 3 bottles worth. Yumm

1200 miles in Baja 05 wr450

Desert Tank(IMS)Non Dry break i got 93 miles to a tank It is good to have a buddy with the same tank and bike so you guys can run out of gas at the same time then you have someone to hang out with.

Steering Damper(GPR) a must one of the best improvements on the bike

Radiator Guards (Zip Ty) they work

TIRES (Maxxis) these tires are awesome never a flat, bent wheels but no flats ,the carcass on these tires are tough, stock tires suck tire pressure about 16 19 was nuts, theres alot of stuff to hit. In 1200 miles in Baja only got one flat on stock tires 2 miles from the truck( dodged that bullet)

TUBES(Heavy Duty)

High Bend Handlebars(APPLIED) These things rule for hundreds of miles

Suspension Revalved For Desert (Shock Therapy Temecula) Best improvment

New Grips(Renthal Dual Compund Soft) Lasted through baja 500

Buddy Tow Strap (great if you have someone to tow you)

Exhaust YZ450F Stock Silencer this really made the bike come alive and you dont need a spark arrestor in Mexico

Air Filter(No Toil) Works good

Hand Guards(Fast Way) They Broke

JD Jet Kit 0-3000 ( this is a must if you want the bike to come alive)

Storm Fuel Screw ( does the job)

Zip Ty Chain Guides Rollers I seen people rolling back into Ensenada witht hese things deinegrated

Regina Chain ATV O ring( Does the Job)

Afam Sprockets 15/ 45 worked great for going scary fast good in twisties

Zipt Ty Magnetic drain plug ( a lil insurance)

Frame guards (works conn.) These cover the rear master cylinder

Fastway Foot Pegs( these things work great for long rides)

Zipt TY Shark Fin ( insurance)

Stock Clutch made it 1200 in Baja

Something that will hold at least 3 litres of water( water is the most important thing) Sucking water out of cactuses isnt that bad after you get used to it, good for the lips.

Some kind of food. (when your out of water and gas at least you have something to eat)

A lighter-matches suck

cigarettes- these are great to have when you run out of gas and water and have to sleep on the floor, if you have smokes then you have a lighter, so then you can start a fire and stay warm, nothing like having a smoke lying on your chest protector next to the fire, listening to your buddy in shock moaning like a dying animal with a twisted leg and dehydrated.

GPS is a good thing it tells you that you exactly how far you are stranded from the main highway.

Ham Radio Completely worthless

Satelite Phone would be nice

Cell Phone worthless

I would recomend a pair of tie downs sounds lame, but after you slept in the dirt wake up in the morning and start pushing for a couple of miles in the sun and your buddy is threatening to drink his pee and telling you dude im really gonna drink my pee, and you beg him not to and the local guy pulls up in a truck and give you a lift to the local pemex and he's driving like he's racing the baja 1000 with 2 americans in the back of his truck with 2 motorcyles that are not tied down, really sucks more than carrying 2 tie downs.

Tools are good to have in a fanny pack

All the protective gear you can stand hanging off you body ( stuff just jumps out at you bushes, trees, rocks, snakes, not to mention crashing.

The one flat was the only mechanical failure on the bike, i wouldnt want anyother bike out there, so fun nimble when you need it and fun when your going fast. I love Baja, a very spiritual adventure.

Wish List

Dual HID Headlight( Baja Designs)

Headlight Wiring Kit (Baja Designs)

High Output Stator 220W (Electrex)

LED Tail Light

Hand Guards (Cycra)

Yosh Racing Exhaust

Zip Ty Magnetic Dipstick

Zip Ty Magnetic carb Float bowl plug

Zip Ty Petcock Knob

:thumbsup::bonk:

Good post:thumbsup: ...and funny too:lol:

Dusty,

Did you guy's race the 1000 this year? if so i think i found one of your pics online. black decals, black exels???

Don't know if the rest of you guy's have done this but i used the heat casing that i pull off from the smog junk after i replaced it with the AIS kits to cover up my gas lines on the right side. The IMS does sit very close to the head pipe but a little prep should keep you from going up in flames :thumbsup:...yes i too had a close call :bonk:

No we didnt do the 1000 last year just the 500 was all the deathwish i had energy for.

We ran a Dist 37 Vikings National to train for baja. Man those races are tough, 40 mile of that is more tiering than any ammount of time in Baja. There is ice cold water at the checkpoints when you forget your camelback and your gf has your truck stuck in the sand near the bomb start and all the rows are taking off and your 2yr old is locks himself in the truck with the keys. Water Very important, Man i need to go to church.

Bob day coming up in long beach in FEB. If life were a tv show no one would believe it

No we didnt do the 1000 last year just the 500 was all the deathwish i had energy for.

We ran a Dist 37 Vikings National to train for baja. Man those races are tough, 40 mile of that is more tiering than any ammount of time in Baja. There is ice cold water at the checkpoints when you forget your camelback and your gf has your truck stuck in the sand near the bomb start and all the rows are taking off and your 2yr old is locks himself in the truck with the keys. Water Very important, Man i need to go to church.

Bob day coming up in long beach in FEB. If life were a tv show no one would believe it

Yeah saw some WR450's at the 500. not much in the 1000, those crazy guy's on that WR 250 did all the Baja's, i keep seeing it driving around in the back of a truck in Costa Mesa :bonk:

Yup Vikings suck for sure how did you like the "rock garden"????

I never seen a pair of goggles fog up so dang much :thumbsup:

:p funny you mention the sand by the start of the bomb.

My wife was a bit worried how she was going to get out of there too...Nice to have a 4WD i guess :thumbsup:

Major hot box last year at Marley day. Can you believe i got harassed by a cop for drinking my beer on the way to the front door, But it was okay for the other 100 of people to be smoking a joint...those young cops have to learn to to pick their fights :eek:

How do the HID lights do with the stock wr450 stator? Can I run dual? Any problems? Which oversize tank work best on a 2004 WR450? Acerbis? IMS? Zipty? Do you put any Pemex gas in or al US gas?

LOL...the pee story...This is good solid advice...thanks for posting. :thumbsup: