What do you think of the 06 YZ450F?

6200 OTD????

I don't believe it...where did you buy it?

Best bike I've ever ridden. Throw away the front tire, set the sag, put a good chain/sprocket set on, and go win races. Regardless of what some of the magazines say, if you can't win on this bike, you couldn't win on any of them. It's smooth, it's fast, it feels light, and won't wear you down. And you won't be doing the valve adjustments on this one compared to other 450's.

6200 OTD????

I don't believe it...where did you buy it?

Im a rider for a shop in pennsylvania.

I just got back from riding and WOW, this thing is just about perfect. It handles and feels as light as my CRF250, has more power than you will ever need, and the suspension is GREAT. I cased a 65' double and it didn't slow me down at all. The only complaint that I have is that the front end will push in some turns. I think a set of high bars or risers will fix that though. It also has no vibration at all, and I wasn't getting any arm pump.

...but it looks like there is a lot of maintenance involving the valves, water pump leaks, clutch basket, fork stops, frequent piston ring replacement. Don't get me wrong you CRF450 owners. I think the bike is awesome, but I don't like to spend a lot of time on maintenance, and I don't have excess money to spend on parts.

Just my two cents to debunk the myth that every CRF is a money pit.

I've been riding and racing my CRF for two years and all its needed is clean air filters and clean oil.

you know that is true. I have seen some CRF owners that have a failure of some sort everytime they ride it seems and then others ride the crap out of them. Let's face it...these are racing bikes ...not maytag washers.

Just my two cents to debunk the myth that every CRF is a money pit.

I've been riding and racing my CRF for two years and all its needed is clean air filters and clean oil.

Same here, I have been riding my CRF250 for 2 years, and it hasn't needed anything but oil and filters. The valves did finally get out of spec and I'm sending the head off off to Eric Gorr. I think the reason the valves go out of spec so fast for a lot of people is because they are always riding right on the rev limiter the entire time.

Same here, I have been riding my CRF250 for 2 years, and it hasn't needed anything but oil and filters. The valves did finally get out of spec and I'm sending the head off off to Eric Gorr. I think the reason the valves go out of spec so fast for a lot of people is because they are always riding right on the rev limiter the entire time.

Bingo! 250F is notorious for this :thumbsup:

you should contact Ron Hamp http://www.ronhamp.com/ he us on to something intersting regarding the Honda valve issues. It appears that the heads are machined differently (often even with the same bike) and where the spring sits in the head are different (not accurate) depth. So what may be happening is that it puts more load on the valve spring (because the spring is in a tighter position) and this was putting like 70lbs of pressure on the valves....hammering the crap out of them. He can be more specific but apparently he started measuring the heads and found them to be inconsistent in the way they are machined.

you should contact Ron Hamp http://www.ronhamp.com/ he us on to something intersting regarding the Honda valve issues. It appears that the heads are machined differently (often even with the same bike) and where the spring sits in the head are different (not accurate) depth. So what may be happening is that it puts more load on the valve spring (because the spring is in a tighter position) and this was putting like 70lbs of pressure on the valves....hammering the crap out of them. He can be more specific but apparently he started measuring the heads and found them to be inconsistent in the way they are machined.

Well after 2 years, my exhaust valves are still in spec and my intake valves are .003 left .001 right. What would he do to the head, and how much would it cost? I'm sending my head to Eric Gorr tomorrow for a stage 3 kit.

Too much................... 7,199.00

but I would of spent $1k more for this bike.......... :bonk:

best bike I've ever rode........... :thumbsup:

Too much................... 7,199.00

but I would of spent $1k more for this bike.......... :bonk:

best bike I've ever rode........... :thumbsup:

Then you should go to Britt's Motorsports in Wilmington, NC. They tried to get us to pay $8,800 OTD.

I just got back from riding my friend's 06 on the ice. That thing just rips! It is a night and day difference from a 05 yz250f. I mean 4th gear wheelies under hard accelleration. Its crazy. I want one for sure. We took some video of it, I might try and upload it in a couple of days.

It's really hard to fault....last year when I bought my YZ250, I didn't even consider the 450 b/c I hated the way they felt so much. Still love my 250, but I have to admit the '06 450 is prob. the best MX bike I've ever ridden.

I'm not doing as much MX these days though, so I bought a 450 XC instead!

I have ridden mine twice and one of the rides was a race. The MXA article wasnt overstating the truth. This is the best bike I have ever ridden. It instills incredible confidence and stock it is incredibly fast. The suspension stock is better than my revalved 04 450F. I'm happy. I don't think you can miss except that most of the Yamaha dealers are not very willing to deal.

If you get one, I really don't think you'll reget it.

'

I took my 04 WR 450 and my new YZ 450 down to some huge hills in Wyoming yesterday. WOW. I tried a hill on my WR four times and never crested it, and I am very comfortable/confident on that bike. The first time I tried it on my YZ I crested with ease. Unreal. The power and control on this bike is amazing. I just cant get over how small and light it feels, making it so controlable. A very fun little side note is how easy it is to ride wheelies on. Pull one up in 4th and ride it out. Good times. :thumbsup: