CR 500 motor in XR 650 L frame

I have thought about a R motor in an L frame. You have gone one step further.

Shouldn't be too bad, except for mounting the rads. I'm sure all you would need is some custom engine mounts, all Honda frames from the 90s look very similar. Getting the pipe to fit may be an issue.

I wounder about inspection and you would have to carry 2 smoke oil with you.

Try it,

MGS

I should try it. Motor mounts and all the water hookups should be fairly easy. An aloop tank and seat kit would give the proper radiator shrouds. The airbox will likely have to be sheetmetal. It would pass inspection. There are 2 smokers running around here on the streets. Few gas-gas and kawi's are street legal in my city.

How would a headlight setup work?

My province does NOT require signal lights. But they do require a headlight and brakelight. How would I do it?

Everything else would be all custom i know but thats ok. I can do it.

An aloop tank and seat kit would give the proper radiator shrouds. QUOTE]

The Aloop kit will get you shrouds, but the tank will be in the way of where the rads mount. I have the Aloop on my L now, expensive but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

You might try to find a tank off of a 1992-6 CR250. The frame is very similar to the Ls, so the tank should fit with small mods. I have not tried, just spent hours looking at diagrams. You will probably need the seat too.

If you get the stator rewound for high output and an AC to DC regulator you should have a charging system that can handle the lights. Add a small battery and you would be all set.

MGS

That is pointless........Just buy the CR 500 af...........

Then I have to plate it and stuff. I just wondered if anyone has ever tried it. Thats all. I may just keep the tank for another year and do a few things to it. I guess it works good enough for now. As long as I have 2 wheels that are hooked to a chain that is hooked to a motor I am happy. Oh and my flask. ?

The swingarm pivot bolt on the XR600 and the XR650L does not pass thorugh the engine case.

The swingarm pivot bolt on the CR500 does pass through the engine case.

So mating a CR500R engine into an XR600/650L frame would require some serious welding and fabricating.

The original XR650L was developed by Bruce Olivie of Honda motorcycles of North America in 1991/1992. It was an XR600R frame, with the NX650 engine stuffed into it. The next year (1993) Honda released the XR650L. Because it was lighter, and basically an XR600R, it is better and more versitile offroad than the Honda V600 Transalp.

What's wrong with the CR500 frame? It's hardly at a disadvantage to the XR's frame...unless the goal here is to create a 350 lb CR500?

You can "enduro-ize" the CR just the same and even license it as I did once. But if you are doing any road or distance work I would suggest the radical approach of the 650L motor in the XR frame! ?