Who builds potent motors???

I was looking at getting my 650 L motor done to the tits.

Big bore, new cam, valves, springs, cam chain, seals, clutch kit, port and polish and whatever else to get more power.

Who could i trust to build me a 50-60 HP motor that will be reliable. I know the heat will be greater but i have an oil cooler setup to go on.

Pumper carb and good exhaust also.

Man...be careful...the L motor is meant to be a low compression very dependable bike...pushing the HP up will usually shorten the life significantly....may be cheaper to just get a used R

Ditto to what khelton said. However, if you want to do it XR's only does know there stuff. Don't expect quick service or good cust. service but the job will get done, right.

Save the $$$$ get a BRP

I was looking at getting my 650 L motor done to the tits.

Big bore, new cam, valves, springs, cam chain, seals, clutch kit, port and polish and whatever else to get more power.

Who could i trust to build me a 50-60 HP motor that will be reliable. I know the heat will be greater but i have an oil cooler setup to go on.

Pumper carb and good exhaust also.

I do, I do!

You will never get 50-60 without a turbo on the L motor. You are looking at high 40s Hp and reliable. Maybe with a 720 kit and everything else you may get to 50 Hp. With a 720 kit you need to have the cases bored out (this is my next project as I am in search of more Hp also)

L motors are low compression from the factory for longevity and to run on low octane gas. There is nothing wrong with bumping compression up to 10.5:1, anyone that tells you different doesn't know what they are talking about. You will decrease engine life but not drastically like some think. Beyond 10.5:1, you are looking at race gas and trouble. Hell, the XR600R was 9.5:1 stock, basically the same motor.

No one will sign up for a 60 Hp XR650L motor with realiability, if they do, they are a fool.

MGS

Where are the 720 kits available? anyone here tried one ? I would be interested if I ever split cases. Any dyno sheets?

I'm an 'L' guy thru and thru, BUT, for what you're looking for, the 'R' is made for you ... you will spend tons of money on the 'L', and still not have the bike youre looking for ... GET an 'R' ... (dont enter Mom's station wagon at the dragstrip, either) ... :thumbsup:

Where are the 720 kits available? anyone here tried one ? I would be interested if I ever split cases. Any dyno sheets?

LA Sleeve.

MGS

Well. Ok maybe 60 horsepower is pushing it. Sorry lol. I meant good power. But the "R" would require a street legal kit if i got one. I would also have to maybe sell my bike to get the "R". More HP or sell the "L"???????????????

Ditto on what everyone else said. Every bit of that bike is designed for durability/reliability first and performance far behind (which is the beauty of the XRL, IMO). If your just looking to mod out your bike like most of us do, try converting to an XRR first as many have mentioned. Then, drop the bike off at Rob Barnums shop, wait a month or so, and have a monster that the XRL couldn't hope to be.

It's a shame you don't live in Cali, or else you could come and ride my bike in a few weeks when my 680 is done and see for yourself before you invested in the 'L'. I've done almost every mod imaginable to the bike, and I can say with absolute honesty that it's been worth every penny. If I was doing the same to an 'L', I wouldn't be so sure. But to each his own. :thumbsup:

More HP or sell the "L"???????????????

How about more HP and sell the "L"? :thumbsup:

I love how these threads always turn into L verses R.

For the record my built L is almost a match for an uncorked R. I had fun building it and I don't really care how much it cost me, I can afford it.

My friend has a 2001 R, he is never more than a bike length away and I have e-start. The motors are basically the same now, just one is air cooled the other water cooled.

The R guys make it sound like we're riding a Rukus.

Attached is my bike,

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=8187

I sure someone will have something negative to say,

MGS

I love how these threads always turn into L verses R.

For the record my built L is almost a match for an uncorked R. I had fun building it and I don't really care how much it cost me, I can afford it.

My friend has a 2001 R, he is never more than a bike length away and I have e-start. The motors are basically the same now, just one is air cooled the other water cooled.

Attached is my bike,

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=8187

I sure someone will have something negative to say,

MGS

Your bike is sweet! What license plate holder / tail light is that?

Your bike is sweet! What license plate holder / tail light is that?

Hi-jacker :thumbsup:

Hi-jacker :bonk:

Sorry :thumbsup:

MGS

I had a XR680r built to the hilt from these guys:

www.barnumspro.com

It was the 5th engine they built for me. Over the years i have gotten to know them well and we are now friends. Highly recommended for the 4 stroke Hondas.

XR's Only is another option, as is Precision Concepts.

MGS

Hey, I love the Ruckus. My #2 choice for campground bombing, right behind a CT70.

I don't think anyone is trying to turn this into an XRR vs. XRL post at all. It's just that every bike has it's purpose, and the XRR was built from the ground up to be a higher-performance version of the older XR series (much as the elusive CRF600X is probably built as a much higher performance XRR), which is good or bad depending on where and how you want to ride. The XRR makes sacrafices over the XRL (e-start, crushable radiators, 20k engine vs. 40k+ engine), but the point is that if the poster wants to mod his bike out this much, the water cooling will help immensely, as well as the more-powerful baseline to start from. But, I've seen plenty of modded out XRLs with owners who wouldn't trade them for anything. And if that's the case, more power to him. :thumbsup: You XRL guys just need to stop being so sensetive. :bonk:

PS - Very nice XRL.

+1 with mikekay on Barnums. I wouldn't send my engine anywhere else. While PC is good, I'd be a bit worried about a 16 year old shophand being assigned to work on my engine, whereas with Rob I know he's the only one touching my engine. :thumbsup:

I'm guessing that tail-light is a Baja Designs LED tail light?

I'm guessing that tail-light is a Baja Designs LED tail light?

It is.

I guess I am sensitive. More than one person sujested to sell the L and buy an R.

My point wasn't to hijack the thread, but to show that with some work the L can come close to an uncorked R in terms of looks and power. My bike is no match for a built R, I wouldn't even try, but it far from slow.

I will try to toughen up,

MGS

Mild porting, a free flowing carb and exh, cam and piston will get you 50HP reliably with a 650L motor. This is what I have myself.

PM me if you need any more details. You could port the head yourself with a few cheap tools.

hope this helps :thumbsup: