is 05 wr450 the best yet?

it seems the 05 mite be the wr to get

2003- 245lb, Compression 12.5:1, 46mm Kayaba, 2.6 Gallon tank

2004- same as 03

2005- 244lb, Compression 12.3:1, 48mm Kayaba, 2.1 Gallon tank

2006- 249.1lb Compression 12.3:1, 48mm Kayaba, 2.1 Gallon tank

you lose Compression and the 2.6 tank from the 03-04

But you shed a few pounds and get a slimmer body & the 48mm forks in 05-06

what I don't understand is how did the 06 gain 5 pounds?

The '05 is the best I've ever had.

Sure, it's the only WR450 I've ever had, but that's not the point.

Seriously, though, if you believe the magazines, the '05 model was a significant improvement over the prior models. That's why I chose it. I would like to have the trip computer from the '06, but I'm not sure any of the other changes are earth-shattering.

it seems the 05 mite be the wr to get

2003- 245lb, Compression 12.5:1, 46mm Kayaba, 2.6 Gallon tank

2004- same as 03

2005- 244lb, Compression 12.3:1, 48mm Kayaba, 2.1 Gallon tank

2006- 249.1lb Compression 12.3:1, 48mm Kayaba, 2.1 Gallon tank

you lose Compression and the 2.6 tank from the 03-04

But you shed a few pounds and get a slimmer body & the 48mm forks in 05-06

what I don't understand is how did the 06 gain 5 pounds?

those weights are yamaha claimed dry weight,my 04 wr weighed 262 lbs wet w/out gas(stock) and i would imagine the other years follow this trend. and the 48 mm forks are of the 04 yz type (not twin chamber) even on the 06. they also made the bike much smaller for 05,so larger people need to be aware of that. the changes they made for 05-6 were not mind boggling, in my opinion the 04 was the best one(with a little suspension work!).

I know it's only a magazine article, but the newest issue of Dirt Bike has a story on the '05/'06 WR's. It goes on to say how great an off road bike they really are and that Yamaha never really got the praise it truly deserved for creating such a winner. Kind of slipped in under the radar, so to speak. As if we didn't know that already ?...SC

I think the weight gain was just yamaha bringing the claimed values a little closer to reality.

Agreed...factory weight claims are notoriously unreliable. One of these days I'm going to weigh my '05 with fuel and tools (and a little dirt) and see what it actually weighs!

I think the weight gain was just yamaha bringing the claimed values a little closer to reality.

I agree too........

I feel that the 06 models are the best we've seen yet. The new forks,computer and softer seat alone puts the bike ahead of the previous years. The myth on these boards is that since the 05/06 models have a lower compression rate they suffer in performance, that's false. Small changes like a lower compression rating give the bike a more manageable power delivery when you need it. I've spent a lot of time on an 04, it has nothing on the 05/06 model as far as performance.

I'm 5'10" and have no issues on my 04....

I actually still had the get a higher bend Pro-taper bar so when I stood up everything fell right into place.

The bike is top heavy for sure but if it's moving that is not an issue IMO.

I have an 05, and it seems great. Honestly though, if I rode an 03, 04, 05 or 06 WR, my riding capabilities would not be able to determine the difference between them.

Although the experts give detailed reviews, I rarely experience things at the level of detail that they do.

The WR is now, and always has been a very good bike, regardless of the year.

My friend is picking up his 05 left over this weekend and thats why I asked and started this thread. I rode the 03-04 WR and the bike feels good the only thing I can say about 05-06 is the feel of the bike is more like a YZ450 but all I did was sit on it in the dealer. I think I'm just used to a thinner bike and that why I like the 05-06