XR650R Thermostat

Just for fun, has anyone found an after market thermostat for the 650R that DOESN'T have to be modified?

I am using the NAPA #115 thermostat, which seems to work great. it just sucks you have to drill a hole, and buff off a few thousands of an inch off the top to get it to fit in the housing.

BTY, if anyone working at Honda reads this, FIX THE DAMN THERMOSTAT. The guide pin is too short, and it gets stuck open. Stop denying the problem and FIX IT!

Hey--they fixed the countershaft seal....now if only they would fix:

.... the footpeg that falls off, and the carb that has the float bowl set to high, and the airfilter that leaks, and the hubs that crack, and the rims that dent, and the front disc thats to small, and the tank thats way to small, and the dip stick that catches, and sub frame thats bent.

.... the footpeg that falls off, and the carb that has the float bowl set to high, and the airfilter that leaks, and the hubs that crack, and the rims that dent, and the front disc thats to small, and the tank thats way to small, and the dip stick that catches, and sub frame thats bent.

I'd have to say you nailed every flaw down to a "T" Mike. However, all the other areas that shine negate all of those IMO. Should've honda addressed these issues, hell yeah. But they never will now.

That's not all the issues either. I had a waterpump seal go bad, and the lower bolt hole for the chain guard cracked. (The engine casing cracked). Both of these were fixed under warrenty.

I've never had an issue with the stock air filter leaking. When I was using it, I used the sealer that came with a Honda air filter kit. Now I use a K&N. No issues there, just make sure you use a lot of waterproof grease around the seal.

Yamaha has the right idea though, renthal bars, excel wheels & hubs, and the 06 WR's are rummored to come with a trail tech computer. Too bad Yamaha doesn't make a big thumper. (I do not consiter that short stroke 450 to be a thumper)

I didn't know about the SRC thermo. If I need to do another thermostat, I'll probibly try that. I used the Napa one from a recomendation from the pig pen xr650r.us.

I was a bit worried about modifying the stat, but it does work. If you got one that didn't need to be buffed don't, you're lucky. I was afraid I'de make the top of the stat weak.

But I will say, the napa stat works just fine so far. and it was onlt 4.99, compared to 16.99 for the SRC. The extra 11 bucks would be worth it just for peice of mind.

LOL!!! But fixing these things gives us something to do!!! ?