Sand in breather tube again!!!

Many of you read my post a week or so ago where I posted that I had sand enter my motor through the breather tube from the valve cover.

Well, after pulling the right side cover and flushing my motor out and changing my oil several times, I feel like like I have cleaned it out. I raced this past weekend. I decided to change my oil again today, but found no more sand in the filter. I thought it was time to celebrate.

But....I removed the breather hose and found sand again!!! I had that hose completely clean. There are grains of sand all the up where the hose connects to the valve cover. Don't get me wrong, its not covered with sand near the top, but there is sand there for sure. In my mind, any amount of sand that enters the motor is a bad thing. I have owned 2 other YZF's and I have never had this problem. What is making this motor suck sand and debris up the breather pipe?? The bike runs great, but I fear it will not run like this forever if it doesn't stop trying to suck dirt ino the motor. I suggest that everyone pull this hose from the valve cover and inspect it to see if sand and dirt is making its way up the hose.

I am convinced that I need to re-route this hose or come up with some sort of filter for the end of it.

Am I the only one that has had this happen??????????

After reading your previous post, I did what Eric Gorr recommended doing along time ago. I install a 1/2" crankcase breather filter. If you install one make sure to cut your breather hose far enough up that when you take your bike off of its stand you don't crush it. You can see i found out what happens if it's not cut short enough--LOL! Hope your luck gets better.

Yea Wyatt, why don't you do a search. I'm pretty sure you never heard of the mod. ?

Haaaa......for sure.

Yeah, i think I will end up going with some sort of filter. i don't want to run it to the airbox. The reason for my post is to let others know of a possible problem area to check. This could be happening to your bike and you don't even know it unless you inspect it.

You need to route that thing to the airbox (clean side!) pronto before you destroy that engine. Take a moment to look at how Honda did it on the CRFs by looking at the left side airbox boot leading to the carb. I'd consider buying the little OEM Honda airbox fitting.

Should be a very easy mod.

Make sure you seal it up VERY well to the airbox.

I'd think that maybe your intake valve seals are shot and when the piston moves down on the intake stroke it's sucking air past the seals and the only place air can get into the valve train area is the breather tube.

Try buying some of those mini filters that you can attach to the breather tubes, that should keep the sand out.

I'd think that maybe your intake valve seals are shot and when the piston moves down on the intake stroke it's sucking air past the seals and the only place air can get into the valve train area is the breather tube.

Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about. It is a crankcase breather hose, nothing to do with your valve seals.

Many of you read my post a week or so ago where I posted that I had sand enter my motor through the breather tube from the valve cover.

Well, after pulling the right side cover and flushing my motor out and changing my oil several times, I feel like like I have cleaned it out. I raced this past weekend. I decided to change my oil again today, but found no more sand in the filter. I thought it was time to celebrate.

But....I removed the breather hose and found sand again!!! I had that hose completely clean. There are grains of sand all the up where the hose connects to the valve cover. Don't get me wrong, its not covered with sand near the top, but there is sand there for sure. In my mind, any amount of sand that enters the motor is a bad thing. I have owned 2 other YZF's and I have never had this problem. What is making this motor suck sand and debris up the breather pipe?? The bike runs great, but I fear it will not run like this forever if it doesn't stop trying to suck dirt ino the motor. I suggest that everyone pull this hose from the valve cover and inspect it to see if sand and dirt is making its way up the hose.

I am convinced that I need to re-route this hose or come up with some sort of filter for the end of it.

Am I the only one that has had this happen??????????

Wyatt lets turn off the panic button.....I have had at least 2-5 oz of sand and crap come through that tube....never let the bike sit in a water puddle and "NEVER TRY TO KICK START IT"

yes I have had this happen, I did the unforgivable....IT IS NO BIG DEAL" change the oil ..maybe twice to 3 times, clean out the breather tube regularly.....you will be alright...yea reroute that tube if you are a WET RIDER ?:bonk:?:eek:

Man, I hope you are right. My panic meter pegged out and then the needle broke off. ?

I just have never had this happen with my other 2 YZF's and this really made me doubt this thing. If you have had that much crap some through and your bike survived to to tell about it, then I must be OK. its good to hear the experience of others.

I am curious as to how the factory bikes are vented because of the obvious absence of this hose. I doubt any mod they do is to help with the logevity of the engine life...they probably get a new one every week.

There are grains of sand all the up where the hose connects to the valve cover.

Can someone please quote my above reply. I'm on hondaowns' ignore list and he may not be able to read my posts.

I was offering advise dick, is was just a suggestion.

I was offering advise dick, is was just a suggestion.

You were guessing. And did I call you names? So who's the dick here?

Let me try to explain how it works:

When the piston moves up it generates vacuum under the piston in the crankcase. Thats when the breather tube sucks air into the valve train area from where the air gets into the crankcase, but not thu the valves and piston rings, remember the piston is moving up, so how could it simultaneously suck air "past the seals".

Think hard how the air could get its way from the valve train area all the way down to the crankcase before calling names you little wanker.

I did a little panic too after reading the post as I ride almost always in the sand.

So i rerouted the breather tube into the air box and covered the end with a bit of nylon stocking that was soaked in filter oil..

The stocking is tied over the end..

I am too cheap and too lazy to go search for a filter for the end so this is my solution...