Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moondogger

New Bars, What Bend Should I Get?

21 posts in this topic

I'm finally swapping out the stock bars on my 05 WR450 and looking at getting a bar with a higher bend.

I'm 6'3". What do you guys think would be a good bar for me?

Thanks for the expertise!

-Alex

For your height, I would recommend the CR hi or YZ hi bars - all protaper bends. The woods bend is not too bad either. Before you buy the bars, you might want to check out your tripple clamp and see if you will run a stabilizer. I use a Scotts stabilizer and recently went to the BRP submount - basically a handlebar riser. My point is that it unexpectantly added height to the set up that you will want to think about before.

I'm finally swapping out the stock bars on my 05 WR450 and looking at getting a bar with a higher bend.

I'm 6'3". What do you guys think would be a good bar for me?

Thanks for the expertise!

-Alex

If you are just replacing the stock renthals and keep the 7/8" bars, renthal Jimmy Buttons are what you are after. I am 6'2" and they are way more comfortable and give you a lot more room. I still run my bars pushed forward a fair way, but the Jimmy's are good as they are the highest bend and have less sweep.

I have the Jimmy Button bend and I think they are the tallest. At least they are that I have found.

I rode with a guy this weekend that had a riser on his. He is 6'4" and he likes it. It sends them up and out about 1.5 inches.

I'm 5'11" and run the Pro Taper "Henry/Reed" bend with Tag Metal 5mm risers in the forward position. SO much more comfy when standing. No more lower back pain!

I have Renthal Fat Bars Ricky Carmicheal HI bend with 1" riser adapters. The highest set-up I could find from all manufactures. They really Rock.

2005_1226Image0068.jpg

I have the Jimmy Button bend and I think they are the tallest. At least they are that I have found.
Ditto. It seems to be one of the more popular choices for taller guys.

I have Renthal Fat Bars Ricky Carmicheal HI bend with 1" riser adapters. The highest set-up I could find from all manufactures. They really Rock.

2005_1226Image0068.jpg

Any handle bar that has Ricky Charmicheal in the bend description cannot be classified as hi bend

Per Renthal , the RC bend is the highest of the Twinwalls, and is tied for third highest of the Fatbars, bested only by the RC high bend and the mini bend.

As a trail rider only, I prefer a narrower bar even though I am 6-5. I've got the CR high Twinwalls.

For Renthal go with the Carmichael Bend. Or with Pro Taper Go with the Windham bend. Both are the same and both are one of the highest bends with the least amount of sweep. Either companies web site give you dimensions for all their bars. Good luck.

I've had great time using andy j bar risers which move the bar both up and forward, giving you a much larger cockpit. You don't need high bars with this setup. At 6'5" i'm using protaper woods hi and they are way better for standing up. Try the risers with stock bend first, then add higher bars if you need additional height.

Forget the rest - I am 6'3", I use Pro Taper "Pastrana" Bend with applied fat bar adapters on my stock clamp. Works excellent, I have yet to bend the bars :eek: and in the end it was all less than $125.00 :thumbsup:

This pic is a good example of how tall they are...

http://stumpjumpers.smugmug.com/photos/45199332-L.jpg

What a great picture :bonk: is it okay if i save it?

Man if I ever go riding up north I would love to ride that place.

I'm not very tall (5'6") the stock bars killed me on the first few rides. Made the switch over to the Renthal CR HI and have much more room for unexpected exits :thumbsup:

here's a not so good picture of my bars :p

Tamayos121805s.jpg

What a great picture :bonk: is it okay if i save it?

Man if I ever go riding up north I would love to ride that place.

I'm not very tall (5'6") the stock bars killed me on the first few rides. Made the switch over to the Renthal CR HI and have much more room for unexpected exits :thumbsup:

here's a not so good picture of my bars :eek:

Tamayos121805s.jpg

That's Gold Bar about 90 minutes NE of Seattle.

On the bar talk - I have used Widhams before as well but I am not sure if they are taller than the Pastrana bend or not. Sounds like a lot guys here know what theyre talking bout. :thumbsup:

Hey mate,

I like the look of Aj's risers, but did you have to get new cables etc?

thanks for you help

Rick