crf450 vs 300exc/xcw

Well, comparing stock for stock (300EXC vs CRF450R (not X)), the 300 would be the hands down choice in my mind, but since you've already done some mods to your R (especially the supsension work) it's not so clear cut. If I were in your shoes, the things I would focus on is not needs but wants. Do you want a new bike? Do you want to try a 2-smoke? Is the R starting to get worn out and you don't want to get into the greater needs of a bike with some wear and tear on it? Are you in a position where you can afford to try something different and go back if you don't like the 300? I will say I do love my 300EXC. Sorry I can't be of greater help.

The 300 is faster, lighter, has more low-end, is more reliable, and requires less maintenance. Are you tired of changing the oil (tranny and engine oil) every one or two rides? With the 300 you can change yoru tranny oil every three or four (or more, depending on your personality) and get away with it. The 300 has a lower center of gravty, and you're sure to notice the better handling. Main thing for me is maintenance, because I'm fairly lazy.

Wow, 300 has MORE low end? I've ridden several 300exc's here in UT, as well as several CRV450's; and that is not the case with ANY of them. More reliable, less maint, and lighter yes; but not more low end. Mind you these are stock EXCS and CRF450's.

I rode a 300XC and it DID feel like it had more lowend. It is a more motocross/GNCC tuned bike than the 300exc and the 300xc-w.

It didn't have the same topend as a 250XC or any jap XC but it did have more lowend than a 450...

they Dyno with torque numbers slightly higher than a 450 4-stroke.

The difference in the 300xc vs. 300EXC.

Same jug with different porting spec, ignition, more 250 SX style gearbox, different silencer, stiffer valving (for track use).

The raceshop I stopped at in TX had a nice dynojet setup in the back, they had their bosses 300xc dyno'd and showed me the numbers with yzf450/crf250r/crf450r overlays (their bikes). Cool shop, it wasn't a dealership just a race/offroad shop.

The 300 made more torque than both 450's but had a little less peak HP. Not hard to beleive...The 200xc and 200sx both make a little more torque than a 250f and alot more HP than the 250f's.

250 (2s) and 450 (4s) are closer in power than a 125 and 250f, add 100cc to any 2-stroke 250 and they will make similar numbers as the 450 torque wise.

Do you want a new bike?

Doesnt everyone want a new bike? Only problem I am not able to ride the 300 before purchasing.

Do you want to try a 2-smoke?

I had a 96 cr250 as my last bike and have a lot of fond memories of it (might be just nostalgic)

Is the R starting to get worn out and you don't want to get into the greater needs of a bike with some wear and tear on it?

Too late for that, put a new top end and rebuilt the head last summer. Everything else is in good working order.

Are you in a position where you can afford to try something different and go back if you don't like the 300? I will say I do love my 300EXC.

With a 2, 3, & 16 yr old, I am never in a good position to buy a new bike and go back if I dont like it.

My main reasons I am looking at the 300:

-Never have to check valves

-A lot less maintenance (oil changes & valve checks)

-Simple rebuilds when necessary

-Suspension should be close out of box for woods/trail riding

-KTM's seem to hold their value well

-lighter bike

Reasons for looking at KTM400

-easier adjustment of valves

-come set up for my type riding

-supposed to be good for tighter riding

Reasons for looking at Husky TE450

-easier adjustment of valves

-come set up for my type riding

-supposed to be good for tighter riding

-cheaper than ktms & street legal

How much work does it take to get a KTM300 or 400 street legal (other than headlight & taillight purchase)?

The best thing I think you could do is get a ride on a ktm 2 stroke. A 300 would be great, but you said it wasn't available. Try out a 250exc and if you like it then you will like the 300. If nothing else just get on any 2 stroke to get an idea if you want to go back to that type of bike. The 300 is not a high strung bike like the mx bikes, but you can still get a feel for a 2 stroke. I've ridden alot of 4 strokes and i'm always happy to get back on my bike when I'm done. I may get a chance to ride an 05crf450 soon, haven't ridden one of those yet.

I bought one (300exc) before selling my WR, then got in a pinch and had to sell one of them quickly. Guess which one went first, the 300. It was in better shape so I expected it. Now I am selling my WR and going to get another 300. Didn't really like the KTM at first but with a little tuning it was great. What I like about them is the low end but also the adjustability. With the adjustable powervalve, you can control when and how hard the hit comes on. I dialed it in to where it was very controllable in the woods and I could still open it up in the straights. The only thing that you really need to do to get them to handle right is set the susp up for your weight once you get it. The front has a light feel to it and I think a steering stabilizer is a must. The KTM's are just different from the jap bikes in the way they want to be ridden and the way they handle. I think it would be a good move. The 300 just seems to float over obstacles when my bike seems to plow through them.

Not sure I am ready to bite the bullit on a new one, but have come across a relatively nice looking 2003 with approx 2000 miles on it. The suspension is set up for my weight and it is street legal.

Asking price is $3100. What should I know about this model year, and how does the price sound?

Not sure I am ready to bite the bullit on a new one, but have come across a relatively nice looking 2003 with approx 2000 miles on it. The suspension is set up for my weight and it is street legal.

Asking price is $3100. What should I know about this model year, and how does the price sound?

I just sold my 04 with 860 miles on it in almost perfect condition for $3500. You should be able to get that bike in the upper 2's. Of course, it depends on the market in your area.

Good lord man! That's almost $1k less than you were asking!

It's been several months and the 06's are out. I hated to but I didn't have a choice unfortunately. It's OK though, as soon as I sell mine, I have a friend with one nicer than mine was that I am going to buy for less money. ?:bonk:

Well, sounds like it worked out well for you! I've been looking for a decent deal on a 300 for a few months now; yours after shipping (at asking price) would have been too $$$...

I had an 04 lined up here; we agreed on price, and I got the money ready; when I called him to get it, he informed me that he decided not to sell it because he didn't realize how expensive the replacement biker were. AAAARGH!

Same jug with different porting spec, ignition, more 250 SX style gearbox, different silencer, stiffer valving (for track use).

Your info about the XC engine and ignition are incorrect. The XC has the exact same jug, with the same porting, and ignition as the EXC and XC-W. The XC has the same gear box as the SX. It does have a different silencer and stiffer valving / springs than the XC-W.