Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PBDBLUE

'04 crank in a '03 WR450 ???

4 posts in this topic

I need to replace the crank in a '03 WR450 and was thinking about putting an '04 crank in with a Trailtech flywheel. The '04 uses the same main bearings so it looks like that's not a problem but the parts fiche shows a different part # for the '04 stator. Wondering what is different and will the '03 stator work?

I changed out the crank in my SuperKart motor (originally a 2003 WR450). The stator continues to work fine. There is no step after the 2004/05 tapers, so the rotor does have to be replaced and also the starter sprague gear, as I recall. I would assume that the change made the left side shaft much stronger and the larger taper might have solved some of the sheared key problems.

The starter washer is no longer used and the starter gear/sprague assembly floats loosely on the end of the crank. At first it seemed like there was too much slop, but it works fine.

Don E :thumbsup:

Thanks. Didn't think about the gear. Next question is if I decide to stay with the '03 crank should I repair or replace it? The crank is actually in pretty good shape but the rod is bent. Yamaha sells the pin, rod & bearing. Should I just have a shop put a new rod on the existing crank? Anyone know a shop that can do the work?

Yamaha sells the pin, rod & bearing. Should I just have a shop put a new rod on the existing crank? Anyone know a shop that can do the work?

Send the crank assembly et al to Falicon and have the "supercrank" and "knife rod" treatment done to it and never ever look back, fully balanced, polished, with a forged (knife) rod ready to rock for about $400.00

FALICON CRANKS