Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chicagobikefan

Almost stripped oil filter cover bolt

15 posts in this topic

Check THIS out. Was using a TORQUE WRENCH set to the proper value and almost stripped out my oil filter cover bolt on my 2005 XR650L.

screw1.jpg

screw2.jpg

The other bolts snugged up and sealed fine, clicking the torque wrench at 9 ft-lbs. This screw snugged up but kept turning without the torque wrench clicking. After about 1/8 -1/4 turn past snug, I started getting nervous. I backed it out and found that it was almost broke in half. I snapped it in half (picture shows it) with my fingers. Thank God it didn't snap in half in the engine.

Any of you have this happen??? I thought a torque wrench was supposed to STOP this from happening? :applause: By the way, any of you have an extra oil filter cover bolt lying around? :bonk:

By the way, take a look at the pics. The center of the bolt looks black, not shiny. Do you think the bolt was bad?

I did the same thing on my XT600. Now on my XR600 I just tighten the bolts with a socket wrench, not a torqe wrench. They don't need to be very tight, just snug.

Nice pictures! I did the exact same thing to all three of the oil filter cover bolts using a torque wrench. I did not figure it out until I went to get on my 2005 L on my lunch break and noticed a puddle underneath and a trail leading up to where I parked. I guess the torque was so perfect that the heads snapped off about 99 percent but still seemed to be secure until that little extra pressure from the engine was exerted while riding to work. I used to be a fine tolerence machinist so I would think that I would have a clue. Honda has probably got it right but I now tighten my oil related bolts without a torque wrench.

two things about torque wrenches that you probably know, maybe some readers dont : torque readings are for CLEAN threads in perfect condition, and also, if you have an extension on your socket, the torque will be higher than it indicates .. also, always use an anti-seize product when threading steel screws into aluminum .. :thumbsup:

Same thing happened to me the 2nd time I changed oil on my XR400. Since then I dont torque them as tight as they say to.

The only time I have ever used a torque wrench is for Auto engine rebuilds, just snug it up, beter to have it fall out than to break off.

anti-sieze??? shoot who's ever heard of or gosh forbid used it???

seriously though that, cleaning up your threads alittle and a very good idea of what 8-12 pounds of torque feells like will fix this(hint- its not much at all...)

BTW I'm kinda an anti-sieze and thread cleaning junky, my uncle was a mid west mechanic and he taught me alot. now if i quit riding i'd quit breakin

mike

Hey Roadcam...how does an extension on the socket (which there was one) increase the torque exerted at the click by the torque wrench? Not the handle, but the socket. It seems to me that it wouldn't matter.

The guy at the parts department said that this sort of thing happens all the time at the shop. They had another bolt in stock; only $2.99 (!).

the only bolts i torque on my bike are the axles.....i tried torquing the bolts that hold the front axle on and snaped one....luckily it was high enough to grab onto it with vise grips and pull er out. after that i was done, i just nicely snug them all. on major engine work, i would probably get an inch pound wrench and torque everything properly but on stuff like oil filter cover bolts, just snug them.

The other thing to note, is that all bolts have torque ranges. I've heard that Honda *used* to put these in, but don't anymore. I'm pretty sure they only give maximum torque specs nowadays. So, a bolt listed as 9 lb-ft should be something like 6-9 lb-ft. There are alot of bolts on the 650R that are prone to breakage if torqued to spec. Just use your standard socket and torque it to feel, but on the easy side. Then just check it after riding.

Hey Roadcam...how does an extension on the socket (which there was one) increase the torque exerted at the click by the torque wrench? Not the handle, but the socket. It seems to me that it wouldn't matter.

The guy at the parts department said that this sort of thing happens all the time at the shop. They had another bolt in stock; only $2.99 (!).

I cant answer that, sorry ... just know it has been burned into my brain from shop classes, and have seen it in writing ... think maybe it came with the torque wrench paperwork ... cant prove it, I just take it as accurate info ..

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice. I felt the same way about the crankcase oil drain bolt. It seemed to turn a *little* bit too much before the wrench clicked. It's probably because the bolt was oily. I'll never use the torque wrench again. Anyway, I know about what a certain number of foot pounds is, anyway.