2003-2005 YZF 450 Problems

You'll find very few problems with any of those years....

I have a 2004 that I bought used and I love it. I purchased it with 45 hours on it, and I've put on about 40 or 45 hours, with zero problems.

In summary:

The 2003 had the nastiest "hit" (i.e. arm-yanking acceleration that many people said was "uncontrollable on a MX track") It had a lightweight flywheel, that allowed it to really wind up quick, resulting in wheelspin. It also had 46mm forks which are considered o.k., but not as good as the 2004 and 2005 48mm forks.

The 2004 had less "hit"....I think Yamaha added a heavier flywheel, and remapped the ignition curve, but it made the bike more controllable. Even tamed down a bit, it is a very powerful bike. Also the larger forks are superior to the 2003 model's, and I believe stainless footpegs were upgraded to Titanium. I think there was another improvement (maybe clutch?) but I don't remember.

The 2005 was tamed down even more...In fact a number of people felt the Engineer's tamed it down too much, losing it's "hit", although I think the suspension was again improved over the 2004.

In summary, they are all very reliable bikes, and you'd probably be happy with any.....If ya got the cash for the new 2006 model, than I think you have the culmination of all of the best traits of the older models, with none of the negatives...

Oh, by the way....the only real criticism of these models, is that they don't turn as well as the Honda CRF models, and tend to have a top heavy feeling.

There is truth to this, but there are ways to improve the turning,and reducing the top heavy feel. I.E. Stormlink linkage, or using offset clamps. I am contemplating using the Stormlink myself to help the turning.

Yamaha's are more reliable for sure. I would get either an 04 or 05 if it was me. The 03 was a great bike too but the newer models have bigger forks (48mm vs 46mm) & the 05 forks are alot better than the 04's. Yamaha changed the ignition mapping on the 04 which made it start easier & the carb had better response. The 05 actually lost a few horsepower but had a smoother powerband that was less tiring to ride.

The only thing I would add is that the '03 clutch as delivered was grabby and chattered quite a bit. Using the GYT-R clutch plate kit fixes it, but you probably won't find many with the stock stuff still in it any more.

The '03 also almost desperately needs more flywheel weight.

YOu can use the 3 pieces from the 426 clutch to solve the grabby clutch on the 450s. Use the washer, spring washer and the inner most friction plate.

The only thing I would add is that the '03 clutch as delivered was grabby and chattered quite a bit. Using the GYT-R clutch plate kit fixes it, but you probably won't find many with the stock stuff still in it any more.

The '03 also almost desperately needs more flywheel weight.

HA!

I just found me a fix here.

I abuse the living crap out of my clutch due to a high 1rst gear and steep hills here. Gonna fix my grab and go right up.

It grunts first off in the day and is either on or off now. But that's after a whole summer of just outright abuse.

And to answer the question. I have an 03 and its running perfect and I beat the crap out of this bike.

I know the 03 and the 04 are 4 speed. I believe the 05 is also....I think only the 06 is a 5 speed.

A lot of people like the 4 speed for MX only....if your going to do a bunch of off-road riding at high speeds, (like open Desert conditions), and also tight twisty areas, than the 4 speed isn't as versatile.

I ride both MX tracks, and some woods areas/fire trails etc. I think the 4 speed works pretty well, but if I were out west where maybe you run some tight twisty, slow stuff, and than balls-out high speed runs, than you're better with the 5 speed. The 4 speed for the tight, slow stuff may require a larger rear sprocket, and then you're gonna lose top speed. With the 5 speed (like a WR model) you can have your low 1st gear, and than you have 5th for the flat out stuff.

I hope this makes sense.

• 14 years later...