decompression lever

The answer to the first post comes in the form of a question: How are you starting your bike? There's no way that I could start my WR400 with out the decompression lever. In fact, the couple times I got it wrong or if back-fired I though I broke my ankle.

One time it hurt so bad I couldn't walk for 10 - 15 minutes. My wife couldn't stop laughing.

So in a word, yes.

As far as the second post: I have never had mine stick open.

oh yeah, and do these have a tendency to stick open? If they do then what happens?

their is way to start the bike without using the leaver, you will have to bring it to TDC before kick it by applying constant pressure on the kick until you find the TDC. (I'm doing it sometime as showoff).

if the lever is stick open, their is leak of compression and the bike will not start.

the decompression system is helps you to bring the piston to TDC by pushing the exhaust valve and releasing the compression. :applause:

You're right it would be the hot start.

I should specify, that 1) new bike, and long story - traded a van for it...... 2) it's a 04 WR450.

It's got the ASV levers, and the little tiny lever, must be the hot start??? Anywho, the guy I bought it from said he doesn't use it cause it sticks open and can burn the valves?

Thanks for the answers guys, I'm a pretty nieve jackass so far with this bike......just trying to relive my youth a little, but I'm running short on time.

You're right it would be the hot start.

I should specify, that 1) new bike, and long story - traded a van for it...... 2) it's a 04 WR450.

It's got the ASV levers, and the little tiny lever, must be the hot start??? Anywho, the guy I bought it from said he doesn't use it cause it sticks open and can burn the valves?

Thanks for the answers guys, I'm a pretty nieve jackass so far with this bike......just trying to relive my youth a little, but I'm running short on time.

Yep the little lever is the hot start, cant really see how it could stick open though, you might want to investigate that..