Xl650l Not A Typo

Here is the deal....We (CAJUN and me) took a used 94 XR650L motor and put it in my 86 XL600R frame...The motor mounts great accept for the carb...Space is a little tight but doable...It took a virtual electrical genius (CAJUN) to get the wiring squared away but the bike starts and runs great...Here is the problem....Once we got the motor running I attempted a test ride only to find that 2nd gear is completely gone....I need advice on where to go from here....I know it will be a complete tear down of the motor but I need guidance on parts that will need to be replaced while it is apart....Any and all advice will be appreciated.....

Jeff

You just need a manual and tear it down. Check for worn parts. Will it shift past second, does it just jam up? You need to look at the gear dogs and see if they are chipped. Second gear shift fork should be replaced.

It does shift smoothly past 2nd...2nd sounds like putting an automatic tranny in park while it is still rolling.

I think you will be able to visually see the problem then understand how it all works when you take it apart.

What would you say would be a good guestimate for a shop to do it?....Including parts and labor....I need some sort of price so that I can get a partial refund on the price I paid for the motor....

Jeff

Dude,If you havent done so already,go to 4 strokes .com,under tech articles,Honda,there is some good tear down pictures from Jaws or crusty quinn,or something to that matter,they show a complete tear down and re-assembly of a big xr gear box,mabey this will help yous guys out.Get a manual. XRRon,I said it before,My 86 XR600 still runs strong as a muh-fuh!

THX XR RON..I have a manual on the way and I will look into those pictures......

What would you say would be a good guestimate for a shop to do it?....Including parts and labor....I need some sort of price so that I can get a partial refund on the price I paid the motor....

Jeff

I've never brought a bike to a Shop before so I can't help you there.

Do ya still have the old xl600 motor? I need a cylinder for an '83-'87 XL600R.

Has anyone ever had second gear just kind of grind when you shift into it? But then have 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th work fine. If so what did the problem turn out to be?

When I get rid of the motor it will be in one piece....You are more than welcome to the motor if are interested in buying it...It is an 86 and has approx 12,500 miles. Was running great when I pulled it out...The only reason I did the motor swap was to get the extra 50 cc's and e start....I'll be posting it for sale soon.... I will be asking $800.00 obo...

Has anyone ever had second gear just kind of grind when you shift into it? But then have 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th work fine. If so what did the problem turn out to be?

second gear is the first to go.....its probably completley striped out. ya just gotta replace it. the reason: the gear ratio gap between first and second is incrediable.....its like a 3.5 to 2.0....so it takes a lot of stress when you shift going a lil to slow.

I had a Honda XL200R do the same thing with the second gear. It was only the two cogs that were damaged in the tranny as all the other were fine. Like an idiot, (a broke and young idiot) I kept riding the thing until it caused other problems. I am fairly sure a piece of the tranny shrapnel got up into the piston and cylinder and took it out. I was never able to verify for sure, but the vertical gouge in the cylinder looked suspicious. :applause: A piece of advise would be to not ride it until you have removed the metal bouncing around in there. :bonk: