Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxomatica

Lookin to ride the desert

12 posts in this topic

Hey everybody.

Up here in Vancouver Canada it is pretty cold so we are thinking about comming south to do some desert riding this February. Any great ideas. We don't want to go too far east.

Thanks, Fox

Hey everybody.

Up here in Vancouver Canada it is pretty cold so we are thinking about comming south to do some desert riding this February. Any great ideas. We don't want to go too far east.

Thanks, Fox

Spangler lots of desert. 140 miles out of Los Angeles. I believe it is about 57000 acres of ohv land.

Jawbone canyon about 100 miles out of Los Angeles. same direction as Spangler but closer. Nasty hill climbs and a 30 mile trek to some awesome single track in the Piutes. To do the ride from Jawbone to the Piutes do your single track riding and back to Jawbone you need to have a 100 mile range on a tank of gas.

I don't know if licensing matters for foreign nationals coming to California, but California is strict on dirtbikes, so I assume they would be on non-California registered bikes????

Nevada is no registering, licensing, etc for off road bikes!

I don't know if licensing matters for foreign nationals coming to California, but California is strict on dirtbikes, so I assume they would be on non-California registered bikes????

Nevada is no registering, licensing, etc for off road bikes!

Strict? Come on I have been riding in the desert 2 times a month for the last 3 years I have yet to see a ranger. On top of that riding with red sticker and no stickers. Not a problem.

"Strict" as in the law, not whether it would be enforced. Whether someone wants to risk violating the law is their perogative. Especially when we are talking about doing it in a different country.

I wouldn't want my bike impounded, etc. And, I'd be the one that would get ticketed--Murphy's law

I've not always been in strict compliance with the law concerning bikes, so don't get me wrong, but when you're talking about coming here from another country, I think you should at least consider the issue.

If you're a U.S. resident from another state you need a non-resident ohv permit if you ride in California, but not sure what the requirement is when visiting from another country. My guess is they might pinch you for a few more $$ since you're dealing with the goverment bureaucracy of Californiastan who loves to levy taxes on everyone they can. Check out this link for starters http://ohv.parks.ca.gov

You might also do a search on BLM (Bureau of Land Management) the Federal agency that oversees most riding areas in the western US.

Southern Arizona....no stickers to worry about, better air (cleaner) than So Cal, and lots fewer BS rules to worry about! Also fewer jackholes around....

Check out www.ridingarizona.com for details.

Why go all the way down to southern California? There are great dunes in the south east side of Idaho. They are the St. Anthony's sand dunes are are quite similiar the Glamis dunes in southern California. Choke Cherry is the killer dune to climb their. Much steeper than Oldsmobile at Glamis. :thumbsup::bonk::thumbsup: