WR Stators- DON'T GET STRANDED!!

Anyone had a WR stator go bad yet? My bros and I used to ride XRs and burning out stators was an occasional issue. Sucks if your 100 miles out. Mail order part as well= too much down time to save a weekend.

I'm replacing rings and valves. My bike has over 10,000 miles on it and I'm considering replacing the stator so it doesn't leave me high and dry. Comments?

Well - Huskys had a tendency to either incorporate weak or short term (as far as Aussie conditions go anyway) stators in their earlier machines and i can confirm that i was one on of the unlucky people to succumb to this out in the middle-of-nowhere late on a Sunday afternoon. A weak spark and quite often a fouled plug was the standard result in the Husky's case but i must say that over the years i have never heard of a Yamaha being guilty of this offense. What year is your Yamaha and for that matter what size and model ??

I had a stator go out on my old XR600.... From my experience it did not leave me stranded. It was a heat issue, as soon as the bike got hot it would start missing at high RPM and eventually would die. Just had to let the bike cool off and was able to keep going until it got hot again. After this ...I pulled it and sent it off to be rewound.

I had a stator go out on my old XR600.... From my experience it did not leave me stranded. It was a heat issue, as soon as the bike got hot it would start missing at high RPM and eventually would die. Just had to let the bike cool off and was able to keep going until it got hot again. After this ...I pulled it and sent it off to be rewound.

That was not the stator....I had the same prob with my 85 XR600, it turned out to be the ignition trigger. I read an interview with Bruce Ogilby in Dirt Rider at the time and he stated that they were very susceptible to heat, and he always carried a spare. I bought one and it fixed the problem. The stator I bought 1st didn't....

• 3 months later...
I'm replacing rings and valves. My bike has over 10,000 miles on it and I'm considering replacing the stator so it doesn't leave me high and dry. Comments?

10,000 miles is a decent amount of miles. Are you replacing the rings and valves for a certain reason or just because you figure it's time. What year is the bike. I would be interested in seeing the condition of the piston and bore.