HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ktmscott1x

2006 YZ450F jetting?

36 posts in this topic

so what have you guys come up with?

stock. runs like crap, backfires and misses, at 1/3 throttle.

a rep. told me the 06's are jetted to lean. and to use a:

48pj

clip 5

180 mj? thats a little big.

so how bout it?

search!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY DONT YOU SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU LAZY PP:LKJOPIUP)U SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok now that we have that overwith...

sea level - 1000ft, im running a 48pj and 170 main, didnt touch the needle. works great. w/fuel screw at 2.25 turns and boyesen ap cover

tried search, :cry: if this peice of :cry: s@#t :bonk: programing would work, or bring up any results, i wouldn't ask.

but thanks for the reply. :applause::p:cry:

I ride at 1200 to 1600 ft altitude and stock is perfect. no boggs no backfires...All ANIMAL!

Live in Northern NJ. Stock Jetting was not working to good.

I backed out the air screw about a 1.25 turns, ran pretty good, but not right.

The screw must have been out pretty far, since is vibrated completely out in the field I was testing the bike in, nice. Bought after market needle to replace, much better to work with.

Went to a 45 pilot first, some difference, but not really noticeable. Then went to a 48, biggest difference was the air screw adjustment. The bike would actually run with it turned all the way in. It was a little over fifty degrees when I tested, it ran good, lots of good top end, but when I backed off the throttle, it popped big time. The biggest difference was in starting, much easier!

I went a 170 on the main, it got way to cold to test. Will test later this week again, suppose to go to fifties again, will let you guys know.

When I bought my bike I tested it at the dealers first. Had to run perfect or there was no sale.. But then I am not very technically inclined so changing the jetting was not really a do at home option..

48 pilot/ 170 main will get you very close around sea level. Small fuel adjustments should do it from there.

I backed out the air screw about a 1.25 turns, ran pretty good, but not right.

The screw must have been out pretty far, since is vibrated completely out in the field I was testing the bike in, nice. Bought after market needle to replace, much better to work with.

LOL! I lost my needle too. :applause: Fortunately the local shop had one of the aftermarket thumbscrew models in stock.

At sea level in Orlando at 50F I'm running a 45 pilot and a 170 main with the fuel screw at 2 1/4 turns out. Runs great.

I'm still dialing in the suspension to my liking and it's getting much better.

--KT--

I have a 2006 YZ450. I had the jetting done on a dyno. We could not get it to crisply with the stock needle. We put in a NCYR needle, and with the clip at #2, 160 main, 45 Pilot, Fuel Screw at 1.75 it runs great. I think all you guys that are having trouble with th '06 and trying to get it with the bigger pilot should look into replacing the needle with the above profile needle. This was at an altitude of 300 feet.

going to the 48 pilto jet had nothing to do with the needle.it had to do with the fact the 06 is stupid lean at idle.

its plenty "crisp" with the 48/170 combo.

With the new profile needle, the 45 pilot works just fine. The needle and the pilot overlap as to when they become effective. I am not sure if this is unique to the 06.

its not and it really doesnt over lap as much as you think.you can take the needle out of a fcr carb while its idleing with no change.

the pilot does still contribute just off idle.

stock pilot jet is 42.so even with your needle you still had to go to a 45.

going to the 48 pilto jet had nothing to do with the needle.it had to do with the fact the 06 is stupid lean at idle.

Agreed. I went with 48/170 on mine and it was perfect. Didn't even touch the fuel screw.

Another agree..here!..........

:applause:

Another agree..here!..........

:applause:

I'll second, or third that! One thing I did this weedend that really helped my suspension was backing the high speed compression out all the way. For off road that is.

Before I rode my bike I changed the jets to what Burned reccomended for a bike at sea lavel 48 / 170 with the fuel screw at 2 I ran ELF LMS fuel.

My bike still had an off idle bog and it still seemed lean, so I

1. raised the needle one.

2. wired the accelerator pump.

3. Installed both power now's.

4. disconnected the throttle position sensor.

Now the bike runs like a missle, its like you can't shift fast enough and the bike just keeps pulling, and never bogs.

Before I rode my bike I changed the jets to what Burned reccomended for a bike at sea lavel 48 / 170 with the fuel screw at 2 I ran ELF LMS fuel.

My bike still had an off idle bog and it still seemed lean, so I

1. raised the needle one.

2. wired the accelerator pump.

3. Installed both power now's.

4. disconnected the throttle position sensor.

Now the bike runs like a missle, its like you can't shift fast enough and the bike just keeps pulling, and never bogs.

Can you expaling where you learned about items 2 and 4?

Thanks