2006 Wr450f?!

I am interested in a 2006 WR450F. My concern is my size. I am 6 foot 4 inches and weigh 260 pounds. Will the bike be strong enough for my weight? Will the suspension be able to be set firm enough for me if required?

How about the rest of the bike. How does the Yamaha rate against KTM & Honda?

I am interested in a 2006 WR450F. My concern is my size. I am 6 foot 4 inches and weigh 260 pounds. Will the bike be strong enough for my weight? Will the suspension be able to be set firm enough for me if required?

I think it would be in your best interest to have your suspension set up for your weight regardless of the brand of bike. Most of these bikes suspension specs are more suited for smaller guys than yourself. New springs are a must to get the most out of your bikes performance. The KTM,Honda or the Yamaha is more than good enough to pull you around as fast as you want. At 6'4 you could use an aftermarket tall seat to get you to a more comfy riding position (on any of these bikes). If you're the kind of guy that mostly rides fire roads and fast desert stuff you might want to take a look at the XR650, they're great bikes for big guys like yourself.

Best of luck. Dan :applause:

Like you, I am 6'4" 250 and this bike is plenty powerful enough for me. I cant ride the bike to its limits....yet. :applause: I did change the springs and have found that to be not quite good enough so I am now looking to do the rest. I also switched to a GUTZ tall racing seat and A.J. riser extensions have made this ride comfy as can be!

The yamaha wr450 has the heighest seat height out of the lot, but even I find it too small at times. I am 185cm/ 6'2". As the others say, higher seats are a must, so too is suspension.

WR suspension is too soft standard, A revalve will make the suspension sit up higher in the stroke which is a must if you are tall. Stiffer springs are a MUST. Don't just change springs though. revalve is necessary, you won't be able to set up the dampening properly with stiffer springs.

Even the XR650R has a seat height of 935cm. The WR has a 990cm seat height in comparison. The xr650r is a great solid bike though.

The KTM's are probably the best bikes out there, they are that good. Seat height might be a problem too, the 525exc has a seat height of 925cm.

I say stick to the Yamaha, you can't go wrong. If not the Yamaha, something Japanese, as the bikes are cheaper, the parts are cheaper and alot more available.

At least have a look at the '05 Husky TE450 and TE510 if you get the chance. With 2 years parts and labor warranty you'd be hard pressed to find anything better. I go riding with a few mates around your specifications and the 510 suits them fine - and it's a great bike to boot !!

:applause: ya boet, waar bly jy in SA?

What are the 2006 WR450F's going for now at home in SA? Are youhappy with your bike?

Mossel Bay....best place on earth ? Your name gave you away :bonk:

Donner, like the proverbial pig in S#$t. Every time I ride it it brings a BIG smile to my face & a whole lot of satisfaction. I've also got it licenced for road use. Can't believe I'd be so satisfied with this machine and I've owned over 20 bikes in my days. With a few mods carried out (on this site) it's one powerful machine.

Going price new here is about R65000.00. I'm sure you can get it where you are much cheaper than that. I see they are about half that price in the States.

We have about the same dimensions and the WR will definitely carry you...though you might have to stiffen it up a bit for more aggressive riding. As noted, the XR650r is a great option for a large rider and KTM's work nice too but are more expensive, more maintenance and less durable then the two Japanese options, which are relative bargains. Comes down to preference, budget and riding style but all good bikes.

• 7 years later...

BEEJAY,WHATS THE PROCESS LICENSING ONE OF THESE BIKES.I HAVE ONE TOO.OBVIOUSLY NO PAPERS.BUT WOULD LIKE IT ROAD LEGAL??ALSO IN ZA BRA.

BEEJAY,WHATS THE PROCESS LICENSING ONE OF THESE BIKES.I HAVE ONE TOO.OBVIOUSLY NO PAPERS.BUT WOULD LIKE IT ROAD LEGAL??ALSO IN ZA BRA.

boer hasnt been active in 4 years bud. and this thread is from jan. 06     

Start your own thread and someone will answer