HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bandit99

05 WR450 Needs More Low End Torque?

27 posts in this topic

I love the mid-range and top end on my WR450 but feel it is missing some low end punch. I am coming off a XR400 which is all low end so maybe I just need to learn a different riding style.

I have the AIS removed, Jd jetting done, gray wire cut, throttle stop changed, stock pipe with the insert removed, snorkle removed.

Questions: What other things can I do to affect the low end and which ones will give me the most gains for the buck?

p.s: I would like to stay under 96db.

Bandit

I think your stock pipe with all your modifications could be holding it back a little. I have a Yoshi Tri Oval on mine, its a little loud but does certainly improve it. Not sure of the Db reading on these though. One thing I have noticed is the 450 I have certainly does not seem to have the low torque of my old WR426 I had with all the mods done, it would pull stumps.

Cheers..

The pipe really holds down the bottom end on the bike, look for an alternative exhaust system, there are many to choose from. The Powernow carburetor insert helps with bottom end power delivery as well.

I agree. I would make sure bike is properly jetted. For more low down pull, I would suggest the following: aftermarket pipe, power now but not power now plus and boyseen pump accelerator. Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket will also help it tractor down low.

I remember with my old super-trap system it was more disks = less back pressure = less bottom end and more top end while less disks = more back pressure = more bottom end and less top end.......so wouldn't a free flowing pipe just improve high mid to top end? :applause:

Thanks for the suggestions. Do any of the quite pipes help vs. the stock pipe? Is that worth the money?

Thanks for the suggestions. Do any of the quite pipes help vs. the stock pipe? Is that worth the money?

Yes, the quiet pipes do quite well actually.. I think they're worth the money.

Try a 13T front sprocket, Its cheap and you may like it. Where I was between 2nd and 3rd I now can just stay in 3rd.

Try a 13T front sprocket, Its cheap and you may like it. Where I was between 2nd and 3rd I now can just stay in 3rd.

The 13 tooth will make a huge difference, but you will loose some top end. You could also go larger on the back. I am thinking of trying a heavier fly wheel weight as was suggested to me by a freind.

Mine still has plenty of top end for me. I don't do a lot of open riding. Mostly single track and trails in the mountains. If you do a lot of desert type stuff you may not want to go the same route. I love the 13 front.

Mine still has plenty of top end for me. I don't do a lot of open riding. Mostly single track and trails in the mountains. If you do a lot of desert type stuff you may not want to go the same route. I love the 13 front.

I agree. I did it on my KLX 331, and loved it on the tight stuff. :applause:

I popped a 13 on my '05 and WOOHOO!!! Low end torque for days :applause: ...SC

I agree with Matty. I installed a compltete FMF 4.1 system and I couldn't be happier with the torque throughout all ranges. I will say, however, if low end is your primary focus, get a Yosh pipe. :applause:

I am very happy with the pick up in the low end I got after installing the full Dr D exhaust system. I wanted better low end, but didn't want anything too loud and the Dr D system fit the bill perfectly!

Hi there ,

Does the grey wire mod decrease the low end tork ?

It should increase the mid hi end tork, Am I right ?

Or , doing the grey wire mod increase the hole range of tork ?

I ´d like to do the grey wire mod in my bike, but I´m afraid I ´m gonna loose low end tork .

Can anyone help me ?

2005 WR-450 :applause: