HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeffboyd47m

First 06 450 complaint

16 posts in this topic

Last night when I was reinstalling the subframe on my bike I had my first struggle with my bike. I had one heck of a time getting the air boot reconected to the back of the carb. This is my first 4-stroke so maybe there is a trick to doing this that I am not aware of. My YZ250 was cake compared to my new bike. Does anyone have any helpful tips besides just lubing the air boot opening.

Don't take your bike apart.

4 strokes are not meant to be tooled with like the pingers.

Whaaaaaat?! :applause: Keep up that philosophy and we'll see when your bike implodes.

Is it possable to fit your hand down inside the air boot ? i found that the easiest way on some of the other bikes i've owned, one hand inside and the other out side.

Last night when I was reinstalling the subframe on my bike I had my first struggle with my bike. I had one heck of a time getting the air boot reconected to the back of the carb. This is my first 4-stroke so maybe there is a trick to doing this that I am not aware of. My YZ250 was cake compared to my new bike. Does anyone have any helpful tips besides just lubing the air boot opening.

yep...#1 loosen the front boot towards the cylinder - both allenheads (this will give you more flexibility) - install in the rear first (while you can move the subframe up and down bolted under the seat) then #2 the front boot second....do not use lube...messy and attracts dust... last thing #3 install and tighten lower subframe bolts....:applause:

i have found that if i heat mine up with like a blow dryer or something it makes it really flexible and much easeir to reinstall.

Remove upper shock bolt and let the shock fall and kinda float....makes it much easier.

heating w/hair drier would help as well.

I've had me rear subframe off my 06. Re-assembly was not much worse than my old 450. Neither are easy.

--KT--

Put a LITE amount of grease in the lip of the boot and it should go right on. Remember, use a LITE amount of grease. :applause:

I removed the shock bolt like previously stated. Then I moved the hose clamp back off the area that slipped on the carb throat and it went right on. Then slide the hose clamp back into its proper position.

My 2 cents worth. :applause:

just had mine off last night as well. that is a pain but i found that if i pulled the carb out of the front boot a little so it would sit at a better angle then slid the whole subframe in fairly easily.

CONGATS ON YOUR NEW ONE . I STUMBLED ON A EASIER WAY TO RE- CONNECT THAT BOOT . DROP THE TOP SHOCK MOUNT . THIS ALLOWS A LITTLE MORE HAND ROOM . BOOT CLAMP WAY LOOSE AND YES ON THAT BLOW DRYER. THIS METHOD IS A MUST IF YOU WANT TO INSTALL A POWER NOW. GOOD LUCK :applause: