HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KVO-TN1-2beat

Tone down the 450?

6 posts in this topic

I need to tone down my brothers YZ450. He just upgraded from a TTR225 and I'm afraid he might get hurt on the 450 (He's only 13, but he's 6'1"). I have a DRZ400 S with a mikuni BSR 36mm carb, would swapping carbs with his FCR 39mm make much of a diff?

DONT swap carbs...

teach him to respect his bike. If your really that worried, put a throttle stop like they do on the kids bikes

I need to tone down my brothers YZ450. He just upgraded from a TTR225 and I'm afraid he might get hurt on the 450 (He's only 13, but he's 6'1"). I have a DRZ400 S with a mikuni BSR 36mm carb, would swapping carbs with his FCR 39mm make much of a diff?

Doing what I do for a living, I regularly come across riders who, for one reason or another, bought a bike that is inappropriate for them. On what basis did your brother decide to buy a YZ450? Is he planning on racing MX? Jumping from a TTR-anything to a YZ450 is a huge leap for a beginner 13 YO regardless of how tall he is. A YZ is a race bike. A YZ450 is a very powerful race bike. Unless your brother is planning to race motocross, the YZ450 was probably the wrong choice for him at his age and level of skill. He would have been better off moving up to a WR250. You say you're afraid of him hurting himself, but if he is also afraid to ride the bike then maybe he needs to be honest with himself and look for a more suitable bike. The heavier flywheel weight will tame the bike down a bit, but it can't compensate for the fact that the bike may be just too much for him at this point in his riding development. :applause:

Consider the NFL.....that kid is going to be huge!

just kidding - scratch the carb idea - add a throttle stop or a weighty flywheel - 20oz....