HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Birdie426

426/450 swing arm interchangability

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if a swing arm from an 03 450 will fit on an 01 426? The part numbers are different, but the bearing, axle, pivot bolt, and link part numbers are all identical from 01-04. I know the mfgr's hype said that the swing arm was redesigned to be lighter and stiffer, so I would expect a new P/N...but are the interface dimensions the same?

I know this is an old thread, however i wanted to know what bearing kit to buy for a 2005 swing arm thats going on a 2002 426? Should i get the '05 450 bearing kit or the '02 426 bearing kit? or is there any difference?

The YZ426 has a slightly smaller diameter swingarm bolt than the YZ450. So if you want to run the YZ450 swingarm, you need to use YZ426 swingarm bolt AND YZ426 bearring kit (because the steel bushings must match the bolt size). If you try to use the YZ450 bolt, you will have to drill out the bolt hole on the frame and machine the back of motor case for a larger bolt. Good luck, I'm in the process of this right now. I'm doing the 450 conversion on my 426. I already have a 2005 YZ450 with alot of spare parts so its alot easier trying stuff on my 2000 YZ426. If you have any questions or are looking for parts PM me and I'll try to help. Sean

I used the outer races and needle bearings from the 03-05 kit and the inner races (sleeve) from an 01-02 kit along with a new '01 pivot bolt. Also, you will have to use the 03-05 rocker pivot bolt as the 01-02 bolt head won't fit in the later swing arm.

Birdie

Why did you use the outer races and needle bearings from the 450? just because they were in already? This "rocker pivot bolt".....is this the bolt that holds the suspension linkage onto the swing arm?

Why did you use the outer races and needle bearings from the 450? just because they were in already? This "rocker pivot bolt".....is this the bolt that holds the suspension linkage onto the swing arm?

That's the combination that worked. The bearings from the 426 didn't fit in the 450 outer race with the 426 inner race, and if I remember right, the 426 outer race didn't fit the 450 swing arm. Yes, it's the bolt that goes thru the swing arm to hold the suspension linkage.

I got another question! My rear brake caliper mount is different on the 450 swing arm!?! so the rear caliper doesnt fit right. What are you guys doing for this?