HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marcusmoberg

Installing Sprockets, chain and rear tire

23 posts in this topic

I wonder if I can install the new Renthal Sprockets, Renthal Chain and Rear Tire for my WR! :cry:

Are the sprockets, chain and rear tire hard to install?

I've installed new sprockets and chain on my little Yamaha RT-100 playbike by myself! :applause:

I probably should have someone install for me. :bonk:

I also have a cable lube kit.

Is it hard to install?

I wonder if I can install the new Renthal Sprockets, Renthal Chain and Rear Tire for my WR! :cry:

Are the sprockets, chain and rear tire hard to install?

I've installed new sprockets and chain on my little Yamaha RT-100 playbike by myself! :applause:

I probably should have someone install for me. :bonk:

I also have a cable lube kit.

Is it hard to install?

Sprokets, no biggie :cry: Front one is attached with one big nut, just open lock washer first. Rear sproket is attached with 6 bolts and nuts.

Chains, get a good O or X-ring chains and get a good chain breaker, put rear wheel as much forward as you can get. You will probably have to cut few links off the chains.

Rear tire, Hmmm... I'll let someone else to explain that :cry:

Timo Mc

c'mon marcus, it sounds like you've bought a heap of bits and have just sat there wondering.

some of these things you just have to have a go at. like the tyre, you asked about that over a fortnight ago, and the best way to learn how to do it is learning by your mistakes. we've all( maybe not all) pinched a tube when we changed a tyre, but that just makes you all the more careful the next time.

as for the sprockets, geez mate, undo them, lay them out in the order you take them off, throw away the used bits ( old sprockets) and reverse the order. seriously if some one as inept ( ah not very mechanical) as me is giving you help, your in trouble.

no i've just thought about it. put all the bits in a bag and go to your nearest Yamaha dealer and the bill should be incentive enough to give it a go yourself next time.

have a go mate. you might surprise yourself. and me.

no i've just thought about it. put all the bits in a bag and go to your nearest Yamaha dealer and the bill should be incentive enough to give it a go yourself next time.
Exactly! I bet that would cost quite a few clams to get someone to do it for you.

The rear tyre is the hardest part, the sprockets and chain easy.

Is cable lube kit hard to install? You have to disconnect your cables, put the cable into the cable luber, spray some contact cleaner through till it runs clear, then spray some wd40/silicone spray/crc/what ever through the cable untill it runs out for a bit. Re install cable and you are done. The cable luber doesn't stay on your bike! Factory pro's mechanic's do this between every race. I do it every oil change or so.

I'll think I will try to put on the sprockets and chain!

I'll try to put on the tire also!

How many links will I have to cut off of the chain?

It has 120 links and the sprockets are 14/47 gearing.

Does the rear tire have to be balanced like a car tire?

I don't have a tire changing station!

I do have tire irons to take the tire off with.

I guess I will just use the old tube in the new tire because I didn't buy a new tube!

Hi,

You just have to measure by putting that chain on how much has to go.

Sure you can use the old tube just don't puncture it with those tireirons.

Timo Mc

I have installed the Renthal Front Sprocket! It was very easy!

I've got the nut off of the axle bolt but the axle bolt is hard to get out.

I've got the brake pads off, brake rotor loose, rear sprocket loose, chain guide off and the brake rotor guards off.

What is the best way to get the axle bolt off without messing up the threads on it?

i just took a hammer and knocked it through but it was starting to mess up the threads.

What else will I have to take off?

I think I will be able to do it! :bonk::applause:

How do you cut links off of the chain?

I ordered the GUTS, INC Tall seat blue/black gripper seat cover for $50.00!

It's going to look awesome whenever I put on! :bonk:

I will order blue fork guards and blue side panels.

Then I will do the throttle stop free mod and the grey wire free mod then I will be done! :applause:

I would also put some blue loctite on the head of the sprocket bolts. I usually apply some to the underside of the bolt head where it comes into contact with the sprocket.

What is the best way to get the axle bolt off without messing up the threads on it?

i just took a hammer and knocked it through but it was starting to mess up the threads.

I hope you have your bike on a stand! :bonk:

loctite a must for sprocket bolts! :applause:

All of your tasks are fairly easy. Just take your time and do it right. I always replace the tube when changing a tire, and no, the tires don't need to be balanced. :applause:

I'll get some loctite for the sprocket bolts!

I'll look at buying a chain breaker.

I'll look at getting a new tube.

Yes, I do have the bike on a motorcycle/atv jack! :applause:

Righto, just tap the axle out. I don't know how you are ruining the thread on it though?

Don't change the tube unless you have to. Get "ultra heavy duty" tubes, they are about 4mm thick and are hard to puncture. Using a 19" tube in the rear is a great little trick too, the tube sits further inside the tyre and is less likely to get pinched with tyre levers when doing quick changes.

If you are getting a tube, I would suggest getting a Heavy Duty tube.

The shop I bought my last chain from said all they do is grind the head off the pin, push it through and wala, chain is shortened :applause:

Yeap....dremmel tool, there is more than one way to shorten a chain..

I ordered the blue loctite $8, IRC Heavy Duty Tube $16 & Motion Pro Chain Breaker $28.

I also ordered blue side panels & blue fork guards!

I ordered all this from Motosport Outlet! :applause:

I have to wait for that to be shipped before I can finish the job.

It shouldn't take but a couple of days.

I got 2-day Fed EX FREE SHIPPING! :bonk:

I love all online stores with free shipping over $100! :cry: