HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crazyclimbr

carb ? search function not working

7 posts in this topic

The search function is disabled for maintainence so I'm hoping someone either knows the answer to my question or can direct me to a thread.

I've a 1988 XR600R that runs really well. Today I was talking with another XR600R rider and he mentioned a problem with carb that can happen as the bike gets older. Basically he cautioned me to pull the carb and replace a butterfly valve with an aftermarket part which he described as a plate with holes in it. He said that the spring assembly weakens over time and can break sending the remanents into the motor :applause:

Anyone know about or experienced this before?

Thanks, Steve

He probably talking about the choke plate. There's a small, spring loaded flapper do dad that sometimes has been known to separate from the main part of the choke plate and get sucked through the motor. You can either remove the small flapper from the choke plate or replace the entire assembly with a billet aftermarket choke plate.

There are a number of other reasons to get a Edelbrock carb.

Starts easy, adjusts easy, Great throttle snap, does not flood when you drop the bike on it's side. :applause:

There are a number of other reasons to get a Edelbrock carb.

Starts easy, adjusts easy, Great throttle snap, does not flood when you drop the bike on it's side. :applause:

Where would I find an Edelbrock carb?

The first time I heard about the choke plate problem I thought "yeah right, I've never heard of that happening before", two days later my choke plate broke off, and my motor got munched. See http://www.precisionconceptsracing.com/pages/chokeplate.htm and get one before it's too late!

Peter

I ordered the plate and it arrived in like 3 days :applause: to http://www.precisionconceptsracing.com/pages/chokeplate.htm

Pulled the carb did the change and bike started right up and I'm :cry::bonk:

Thanks for the link Pete...I feel much more secure knowing I'm not gonna get stuck out in Jawbone canyon because my motor went south on me.