Trading my 05 WR for an 06 YZF450

I traded my 04 YZF450 for the 05 WR because mainly the 4 speed tranny was a bitch in the the tight woods and in the single track I mainly ride in. While it's sweet having an electric start and the Wide Ratio Tranny the weight of the WR has killed a lot of the fun factor I used to have with previous bikes.

I did a search on the new 06 YZF and only found a few threads regarding the front end pushing and it doesn't look like that will take much to fix.

I would love to hear if someone else has traded their WR for the new YZF and what their likes and dislikes are with the change.

I figure I can always change the gearing a little to make the bike a little more appealing to the woods. I have put a bunch of stuff on my WR that I am currently taking off because the dealer never gives you the extra value of those parts (Scott's Triple clamp and dampener, Clarke 3 gal tank, Fat bars etc) on your trade in.

I have also heard the mention of a flywheel weight, I only have experience with those on 2 strokes and have never considered one on a 4 stroke.

I spent the better part of the morning putting the stock stuff back on the bike, I know that none of those parts will fit my new 06 but I figure I will just sell them on TT or somewhere.

Any thoughts on the change or comments would be welcome.

Thanks - Rich

I am anxoiulsy awaiting some answers too, as I am thinking of trading my 04 WR on an 06 YZ. Mostly ride woods, but do a little(very little and very slow) track riding and quite abit of hillclimbing. Hit us back guys.

*Bump*

I have already decided and took off all my goodies. all I have left is to give it a good wash and take it to my local dealer this Tuesday.

I sure will miss the E button but I sure wont miss all that extra weight.

Any idea what an 05 WR in excellent cond. with less than a 1,000 miles is worth?

I always get a good deal when I go this guy. i was already quoted $6,850 OTD for the 06

I traded my 04 YZF450 for the 05 WR because mainly the 4 speed tranny was a bitch in the the tight woods and in the single track I mainly ride in. While it's sweet having an electric start and the Wide Ratio Tranny the weight of the WR has killed a lot of the fun factor I used to have with previous bikes.

I did a search on the new 06 YZF and only found a few threads regarding the front end pushing and it doesn't look like that will take much to fix.

I would love to hear if someone else has traded their WR for the new YZF and what their likes and dislikes are with the change.

I figure I can always change the gearing a little to make the bike a little more appealing to the woods. I have put a bunch of stuff on my WR that I am currently taking off because the dealer never gives you the extra value of those parts (Scott's Triple clamp and dampener, Clarke 3 gal tank, Fat bars etc) on your trade in.

I have also heard the mention of a flywheel weight, I only have experience with those on 2 strokes and have never considered one on a 4 stroke.

I spent the better part of the morning putting the stock stuff back on the bike, I know that none of those parts will fit my new 06 but I figure I will just sell them on TT or somewhere.

Any thoughts on the change or comments would be welcome.

Thanks - Rich

1st gear is exactly the same as the 4spds,in fact 1st-4th is pretty much the same(i think 3rd is a little different). stock in 06 is now 13/50 i believe, i run 13/52 on my 05 and without the rekluse it would be a bitch in the tight stuff, but with one its perfect :applause:

stock is 13/49 on the 06 YZ450F

Stock is 13/49, and 1st -3rd are the same. 4th is a tad lower than previous, and ofcourse there is a 5th gear on top.

Stock is 13/49, and 1st -3rd are the same. 4th is a tad lower than previous, and ofcourse there is a 5th gear on top.

i knew one was different,5th is the same as the yz426's 5th(not a whole lot of overdrive) the 13/49 still allows some room in the back to go with a bigger sprocket for woods riders :applause: its not gonna be any different than the 4spd basically,just about 5mph more top end in 5th :bonk: so its not really helping the technical woods rider,and would still need the rekluse in my opinion.

People think there is such a difference between the 4 and 5 speeds, but there is not. They seem to think that 2nd and 3rd are so much broader than they are because there are only 4 gears. I reality, the 4sp vs 5sp make no real difference except for the 5th gear on top.

I thought for sure 1st gear would have been shorter than with the 4 speed :applause: