TekVest from Tekrider.com(review)

Hello again venerable thwappers!

Over the holiday I got to test my new, slightly overpriced vest from Steve at Tekrider. First of all, I must admit that I was skeptical when it showed up at my door. It seemed a little flimsy, as in the armor seemed a little thin. I immediately wanted to send it back and called Tekrider to find out how. Steve talked me into trying it for the weekend and said that I could return it if I was still unsatisfied. It was a good time to test in the Upper Lower Penninsula because the temp. ranged from 40-75F degrees.

The vest is well crafted and all seams, buttons, zippers, bungees and clips performed flawlessly with or without gloves. This vest can hold a significant amount of weight. I put virtually my whole kit(usually in a fanny pack, around 15lbs.) in the front compartments and couldn't tell it was there. My Camelback fit right inside the back compartment and tube sleeve. The vest was a little on the warm side during the day, but was perfect for 40-50 degree night riding. It kept me warm, front and back, while riding with a T-shirt and a jersey underneath. The real reason that I bought this vest is for the protection(ribs,spine). I didn't have a chance to crash real hard to test the vest for higher-impact protection, but I had a few(dozen) get-offs on hillclimbs. It never got in the way, and when I did fall on our softball-sized rocks, the vest did its job. I'd say that it's a superb dual-sport vest and a significantly higher level of protection than a roost shield. Still a little costly at $300.