HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moach1

stripped bolt

8 posts in this topic

my frame oil bolt is stripped. not the bolt but the frame. it will tighten up but not much more than finger tight. should i use a helicoil or just use a drop of thread locker? any help is appreciated.

Have you chased the threads with a tap? Sometimes combined with a fresh bolt and thread locker you can get decent holding power.

there is enough metal to tap to the next size up.....why take a chance with anything less than a new thread ???

there is enough metal to tap to the next size up.....why take a chance with anything less than a new thread ???

I agree. :applause: Just drill and tap the hole to the next larger size. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind on your next ride. :bonk:

Try going one size up. Keep the sizes in "even numbers", if you tap it to those goofy odd numbers, ( I hope you will keep it metric) you may never find a drain plug for it. Also, a heli-coil would work, but even better would be a thread insert. Do locktite the insert of helicoil in. You can buy a helicoil kits for about $45. It will come with the tap, coils,. insert tool and the tap will tell you which drill size to use.

or just weld a new nut on the front of the stripped one. I did it with my engine plate captive bolts, it worked a treat! You have good access so you will get a nice weld.

You can keep stripping them and doing this, until the bolt catches on the front tyre!!