stripped bolt

my frame oil bolt is stripped. not the bolt but the frame. it will tighten up but not much more than finger tight. should i use a helicoil or just use a drop of thread locker? any help is appreciated.

Have you chased the threads with a tap? Sometimes combined with a fresh bolt and thread locker you can get decent holding power.

there is enough metal to tap to the next size up.....why take a chance with anything less than a new thread ???

there is enough metal to tap to the next size up.....why take a chance with anything less than a new thread ???

I agree. :applause: Just drill and tap the hole to the next larger size. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind on your next ride. :bonk:

ya i think i will go up one size. thanks for the input :applause:

Try going one size up. Keep the sizes in "even numbers", if you tap it to those goofy odd numbers, ( I hope you will keep it metric) you may never find a drain plug for it. Also, a heli-coil would work, but even better would be a thread insert. Do locktite the insert of helicoil in. You can buy a helicoil kits for about $45. It will come with the tap, coils,. insert tool and the tap will tell you which drill size to use.

or just weld a new nut on the front of the stripped one. I did it with my engine plate captive bolts, it worked a treat! You have good access so you will get a nice weld.

You can keep stripping them and doing this, until the bolt catches on the front tyre!!

thats a good idea, never thought about that.