HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wheels up

Is it time for a 650 R ?????

14 posts in this topic

I have a 650 L and my mods are below but IT'S NOT enough power still. Some of you know what i mean. It does well but.......I want a DIRTBIKE not a tank.

I was about to spend xxxx amount of dollars of big bore kit and a pumper carb. Then maybe a new camshaft. But no liquid cool makes me worry about long WOT periods.

Should I by a used 650 R?

Mike

Just go do it since it sounds like you are already most of the way there. The 650L is a great bike but if you are looking for more power you would be better off changing out the bike vs putting alot of money into one that most likely will not get you the result you were hoping for and won't increase the value of the bike. I say go 650R :applause:

Well its not easy to find a cheap used one in Canada. They are still big bucks new, even the leftovers. I need to find a good used one i guess.

How would a 450 x make out up against a 650 r in the rough stuff, sand, mud, trails?

You don't say anything (specifically) about jetting/carb set-up or pipe. I've owned both 650L and R, and the RFVC motor (head) is superior to the R for mid range power output, the only drawback is higher weight and oil temp. The L can make just as much grunt as the R, but the cams/valves will suffer at prolonged high speed. I still think I went faster in the desert on my old 600R's than I did on my 650R, but that was probably because I never did get the suspension just right on the R. It always felt as heavy or heavier.

You don't say anything (specifically) about jetting/carb set-up or pipe. I've owned both 650L and R, and the RFVC motor (head) is superior to the R for mid range power output, the only drawback is higher weight and oil temp. The L can make just as much grunt as the R, but the cams/valves will suffer at prolonged high speed. I still think I went faster in the desert on my old 600R's than I did on my 650R, but that was probably because I never did get the suspension just right on the R. It always felt as heavy or heavier.

Ya sorry i didnt say it. I guess it was a no brainer. I do have my carb done up. Sorry.

I guess what im looking for is something that is more OFFROAD capable thats lighter. Also the liquid cool is going to be mandatory for me now.

Dynojet kit on my bike ( 58-165 jetting Dynojet spring Drilled with needle somewhere secret) LOL

I have them both and I do not believe you can make an L perform as well as an R except with a lotta cubic dollars ( and still won't be as good) , engine dollars,suspension dollars, weight. Even if you get the engine HP up there, the engine will be so stressed that it will have a short life..IMHO anyway...

Well its not easy to find a cheap used one in Canada. They are still big bucks new, even the leftovers. I need to find a good used one i guess.

How would a 450 x make out up against a 650 r in the rough stuff, sand, mud, trails?

I love my 650R :applause: and used it for everything from wide open to tight single track for a couple of years. Now it is mostly for dual sport use. My 450X is the bike of choice for all trail riding and single track since I can go much longer and faster with much less effort. It also has plenty of power so I am not missing the 650 in the tight stuff.

Ya sorry i didnt say it. I guess it was a no brainer. I do have my carb done up. Sorry.

I guess what im looking for is something that is more OFFROAD capable thats lighter. Also the liquid cool is going to be mandatory for me now.

Dynojet kit on my bike ( 58-165 jetting Dynojet spring Drilled with needle somewhere secret) LOL

You need a 450. I don't think they'll ever be able to make a (reliable and affordable) 650 light enough to be as fun as a 450. Trust me, once I went 450 I've never looked back. The power to weight ratio is better...and more fun. :applause:

Get a XR650R and then bore it out to 680cc, (Nikasil not a steel sleve) cam, corillo rod, timing chain, pumper carburetor........That will get you close to the power you are looking for :bonk:

I did and love it for everythig but, the tight stuff and MX. Then I like the CR250 with an auto clutch, heavier flywheel and 300cc :cry:

KTM525MXC is the in-between-bike :applause:

Dave, it is a tank. I called Jenny Craig and she said there was nothing they could do about the weight. LOL