HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freekstyle

clutch question

9 posts in this topic

I took my clutch apart because it was making a lot of noise and discovered that almost every thing in there was out of spec. I was only able to get the clutch boss and pressure plate before the weekend so I thought I would just replace them, ride, and replace the other stuff when I get the parts. Anyway after I tightend up the clutch spring bolts I realized I had very little action from the clutch lever. The lever had a ton of freeplay and only activated the clutch at the last 1/8 inch or so of pull. Is it possible that the new boss and pressure plate have so much more material it would cause this? I didn't think so, so I decided to take the boss and primary off again to check if they were fitting correctly, my socket slipped and I cracked the boss. No riding this weekend.

To replace everything I need with yamaha parts I'll spend around $400:

Clutch boss #2

plates- new clutch kit that is supposed to stop grabbing and chatter

primary drive gear

springs

gaskets

Will an auto clutch system like Rekluse replace all the parts I need? If so I think I should look into it.

Thoughts anyone?

The rekluse is an awesome mod, but no. It does not replace all of the parts you need. You will remove your pressure plate, springs and steel clutch plates to use the Rekluse. The Rekluse replaces the pressure plate and you will use their steel plates for proper fit.

Ok, I think I am going to do the Rekluse mod. I have read too many good things about it. I just want to make sure I order all the parts I need to do the work. Given that all the clutch components are out of spec; will this parts list get the job done or are there some other things I should replace?

1. Clutch Housing, this comes with the primay drive gear attached?

2. Clutch boss

3. Friction plates (all)

4. Rekluse z-Start Semi Auto Clutch, this includes the, springs, steel plates and pressure plate?

5. gaskets

Thanks for the help, please let me know if I left some things out. Its going to be expensive, but I am sure it will be worth it.

most likely you have not got the clutch pressure plate inline with the last clutch plate causing you issues here. Also inspect the clutch rod and depending on the model/year you have there is a ball bearing in there.

Need more info for sure!

Also if you are going to replace the basket, get an aftermarket unit like the Hinson.

Not to cause a contradiction but i would go with the stock basket. I had a hinson . well actually 2 that caused major problems. the vibration springs would rub in the basket and dump an a$$load of shavings into the motor. hinson replaced both and ultimatly gave me a refund. just a warning ....i have not had a problem with the oem basket yet :applause:

Well, I did it. I just ordered the Rekluse , Clutch Housing, Clutch boss, GYTR clutch kit, and the nessasary gaskets. I got the complete clutch kit because the friction plates alone were going to cost about $90, and with the kit I get the all the plates, the actuator arm and O-ring for $109. I figure its worth the extra $20 to have all the parts in case I have issuse with the Rekluse.

Does anyone have any setup tips for the Rekluse? I have read they are hard to dial in.

Thanks.

i have a revlock clutch kit that i had on my 03 yz450. this is a complete clutch i paid 1000 for it willing to let it go for 500 let me know. will replace all the parts you need

Not to cause a contradiction but i would go with the stock basket. I had a hinson . well actually 2 that caused major problems. the vibration springs would rub in the basket and dump an a$$load of shavings into the motor. hinson replaced both and ultimatly gave me a refund. just a warning ....i have not had a problem with the oem basket yet :bonk:

That's nice to hear now that I yesterday bought the Hinson basket. :thumbsup: On what bike did you have the problems, your 400? Hope the basket works on my bike. Should I add other Hinson components to avoid such problems?

Hey, I just got all my parts! Now I have some questions. I installed the plates from the kit, but they are much different from the stock ones. It has a seat plate, clutch boss spring and a special friction plate, also the actuator arm supplied in the kit is much longer than the stock one and the lever arm sits much further back. I cant make the actuator arm work with my current cable, even with the perch and the bracket adjusted. The cable is too short. Looking at the new actuator arm compared to the old one; the new one is taller and has a longer throw. Is there a special cable I need to make this work or could I have recieved the wrong part? Is this a common issue with the 03 clutch kit? The stock arm still works with the new plates, If I use the stock actuator arm will it cause any issues?

I am going to hold off on the rekluse install untill I have the clutch kit install finished and I ride it a bit to make sure there are no issues.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks