doesn't wanna start HOT

hey im new to the big bore 4 strokes. i have a 2001 WR 400F and it will fire right up when its cold but after it warms up and i ride it for a little bit i can't kickstart it to save my life it will roll start no problem

temp.- 30-50

elevation-2900-3500

blueblooded

welcome to fun.

there are a few threads that may be of assistance here about starting procedures but i'll try to help if i can.

first i dont want to sound smart, but you do have a hotstart button?

do you use it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/bluebike1999/enginepics_0961.jpg

little red button near frame. it may be in a different location on later models.

please excuse me if you already know about it.

second, i used to have a little trouble starting hot until i did the YZ timing change and things got easier, hardly used hotstart after that. bulk info on YZ timing change, just do a search in top right corner of page.

third a better pipe can make all the difference. because i'm too tight to spend $$$ on a pipe i modified my standard pipe so that it flowed much more freely. almost never use the hotstart now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/bluebike1999/DSC00070.jpg

it may well be a jetting issue but i know nothing about that as i have never touched my carb other than to drain water from it.

there is a comprehensive jetting guide at top of index page which may help, but too technical for me.

good luck

hey im new to the big bore 4 strokes. i have a 2001 WR 400F and it will fire right up when its cold but after it warms up and i ride it for a little bit i can't kickstart it to save my life it will roll start no problem

temp.- 30-50

elevation-2900-3500

When was the last time you checked your valves? Do you hear any kind of "clicking" sound coming from the engine?

temp.- 30-50

elevation-2900-3500

Have you checked your jetting and you fuel screw? My brothers bike had similar problems but after changing pilot jet to bigger one it starts really nicely

Timo Mc

Blueblooded, if you have gas dripping out of the carb. over flow tube, it could one of the following problems. The carb. float is out of adjustment and needs to be adjusted lower or you may have debris in you float needle seat or check your float needle for damage or check your float hinge/pin to make sure your float is not hanging up.

ok i have completely cleaned the carb and i have replaced the plug and its is still (for lack of a better term) a bitch to start. When it is running it will flat out fly no popping from being lean or anything. whats up?

if i cut the grey wire at that point do i have to change it to YZ timing?

Have your adjusted your float to eliminate the dripping gas? Gas coming out of your overflow tube means there is too much gas in your float bowl, creating a flooding condition. What starting procedure do you use, remember no throttle when starting a 4-stroke.

I would try install another fresh plug, cold start, pull choke out, no throttle, kick 2-3 times. If your bike does not start, push in choke and kick again no throttle, it should start. If you think you've flooded your YZF try this, pull in and hold down your compression release and kick through 10-12 times. Try starting again with no choke and hot start pushed in. If it still does not start try the same sequence again this with the hot start out. Last resort to clear out a flooded cylinder, pull in and hold down your compression release and turn your throttle wide open and kick 10-12 times, this should clear out your flooded cylinder. Kick again with no choke or hot start. I've had success using one or a combination all of these hard starting techniques. Remember never blip the throttle! Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
blueblooded

welcome to fun.

there are a few threads that may be of assistance here about starting procedures but i'll try to help if i can.

first i dont want to sound smart, but you do have a hotstart button?

do you use it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/bluebike1999/enginepics_0961.jpg

little red button near frame. it may be in a different location on later models.

please excuse me if you already know about it.

second, i used to have a little trouble starting hot until i did the YZ timing change and things got easier, hardly used hotstart after that. bulk info on YZ timing change, just do a search in top right corner of page.

third a better pipe can make all the difference. because i'm too tight to spend $$$ on a pipe i modified my standard pipe so that it flowed much more freely. almost never use the hotstart now.

it may well be a jetting issue but i know nothing about that as i have never touched my carb other than to drain water from it.

there is a comprehensive jetting guide at top of index page which may help, but too technical for me.

good luck

following an old lead,could you explain how the H/S button works, have it on my drz400 and cant find any info. cheers

Are you feathering your throttle at all when starting it? - that could explain your fuel dripping out of the overflow, you should stay off the throttle completely.

Try this to start it hot:

Put your right hand on the gas cap and keep it there.

Slowly depress the kick start until you reach TDC - it will become VERY hard to push, press the decompression lever, and push your kick start just a little bit to get it just past TDC.

release the kick start arm and decompression lever, now load up the kick start lever until the gears grab (no play) and give it one big strong kick all the way through - DON'T use the hot start button, just try it this way.