Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miguelitro

random useless oil change ???

22 posts in this topic

If you were to drain the oil top and bottom and then turn the motor over and pump all the oil out you would then have to prime the oil pump like you must do after a complete tear down right?

Ahh the things we think of after a couple beers in the garage...

Mike

I have seen guys lean their XRs way over to get every last bit of old oil out that they can. Problem with this is that the depression for cam bearings is designed to hold oil so that every cold start will have a good supply of cam bearing oil. Leaning bike over or turning upside down to drain defeats purpose of this good design. :applause:

I agree, effort better spent elsewhere, but my origonal question stands...prime or not to prime???

dont think i'll guinea pig this one though

Mike

the better question is what kind of beer are you drinking that would make you think of this.. i need some of that brain juice you are drinking

the better question is what kind of beer are you drinking that would make you think of this.. i need some of that brain juice you are drinking

nothing special jsut tall cans of TKT with lime, outta the garage now though go longhorns!

but lets not let this get off topic :bonk::cry::applause:

and still the question stands....

I'd be curious to see what everyone thinks also...hmmm...makes sense. I'll admit I've leaned the bike way over on the kickstand. There's alot of dirty oil left in there. I kick the bike about twenty times after an oil change prior to start up. Would that be the same as priming it?

I think the manual calls for the bike to be on the side stand for oil changes...

I'm still wondering, i wont be able to change my oil in peace today without knowin.

mike

I have seen guys lean their XRs way over to get every last bit of old oil out that they can. Problem with this is that the depression for cam bearings is designed to hold oil so that every cold start will have a good supply of cam bearing oil. Leaning bike over or turning upside down to drain defeats purpose of this good design. :applause:

Starting the bike and warming the oil before changing will eliminate this problem.

Starting the bike and warming the oil before changing will eliminate this problem.

I sure hope everyone does this, common sense really.

I think Tim asked if he kicks it 20 times will that pime the pump? NO, when rebuilding these old tech bikes you MUST manually prime the oil pump, I think its actually more of bleeding the air deal but i might be wrong, kinda fuzzy on that recollection. Surprised honda hasnt changed that design, actually wait no i'm not...

mike

I'm gonna go change my oil right now with the bike horizontal and backwards, while pumpin the kickstarter with cold oil but I'm gonna warm the cases witha heat gun while puttin ice packs on cylinder walls and 45 psi in both tires, oh and no backfire screen in the airbox with the idle adjustment set really high to make up for other problems i might be having.

all while having a TKT tall boy with lime, hell gotta enteretain myself when taking a sickie...

LOL, good one miguelitro! Jack- You have to warm these bikes up to change the oil anyhow.

My experience only.................the only time I ever had to prime the oil pump is after a rebuild. The pump oil is completely drained. In all the other circumstances I can thinkn of the pump retains oil in the impellers even if you turn the bike upside..down. It can't pump if it only has air so you have to prime it like an old water pump.

As far as the "pools" of oil.........just leave the bike on the stand and change the oil and filter. I'd spend time pulling the oil screens rather than trying to get every last drop.......do that with a bear can not the bike. There's two quarts in there, two extra oz. of oil has little/no effect.

Again just my opinon and practice. "I think we need more cow bell"

I'd spend time pulling the oil screens rather than trying to get every last drop.......do that with a bear can not the bike. There's two quarts in there, two extra oz. of oil has little/no effect.

for once Solid advice on TT :applause:

a 2 qt. can o beer thats what i need :bonk:

but still if you WERE to try to pump all the oil out by turnin the motor over you theoretically could introduce air to the pump thus hindering its pumping ability... :cry:

Mike :cry:

My experience only.................the only time I ever had to prime the oil pump is after a rebuild. The pump oil is completely drained. In all the other circumstances I can thinkn of the pump retains oil in the impellers even if you turn the bike upside..down. It can't pump if it only has air so you have to prime it like an old water pump.

As far as the "pools" of oil.........just leave the bike on the stand and change the oil and filter. I'd spend time pulling the oil screens rather than trying to get every last drop.......do that with a bear can not the bike. There's two quarts in there, two extra oz. of oil has little/no effect.

I gotta have more cowbell!

I allways thought it was one of those if you need to ask you'll never know kinda things but what do i know...

ok, watched it ... hysterical ? ... it wasnt even funny when I was stoned :applause: ... good film clip of Buck Dharma when he still had hair, though ... :bonk:

LMFAO!!!!!! :applause::bonk::cry::cry::cry::p:lol::bonk::bonk:

I don't know how I ever missed that, but HOLY SHIZNIT THAT IS F'N HILARIOUS!! My two little boys couldn't understand why I was laughin so hard! I'm going to save that link! :bonk: