Speedo for a Street-legal XR650R

It's time to get one.

I am intrigued by some of the little analog mechanical drive speedos on the market. :applause:

Does anyone out there know - are the speedo drive cables universal? And what ratio - 1/1 or 2/1 works for the Honda? :bonk:

Trailtech Lynxs aren't in the pipeline out here yet... ?

Thanks,

FJT

The 1985 XR350 stock enduro computor works great on the 650R. Another good choice is the 1987 XR200 odometer/speedometer. The stock 650R speedo cable fits right in and is geared to match. I had two 85 XR350s that are long gone but I kept the computors. :applause:

I have a Trail Tech on my '01 650L that works great. The only thing I had to do was fab up a small reading light to see it in the dark. It has a backlight button, but it only stays on for a few seconds.

We used to spin a mechanical speedo, with an electric drill, to see if it work be right for an XR600. Reverse, full speed, showed 30 mph. If so, it was the right ratio for that bike. I had a mechanical drive Yamaha snowmobile speedo on it for years, before I put a Trail Tech on that one, too.

Like oldturtle, I have a Honda enduro unit off an '85 XR350 that I bought new, have had it on several bikes since, they are becoming scarce though. My son got a speedo off an old XL at a local bike salvage yard, made a bracket and put it on his BRP, works great, connected right to the stock drive cable, cost $10.

Needsprayer,

What are you driving with that dual switch setup mounted up by your speedo?

Horn and headlight. The horn is only installed so I could get a license plate, I would never use it. The headlight (100W) is only turned on when I am on asphalt.

The margarita blender is kept in my rear fender bag for those days that get over 100F. :applause:

NPagain.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yea AI also bought that setup off ebay, IT looks great, not too big and it also works. Hope it lasts a long time. I bought it to deture theft and i Dual-sport a little. Hope this helps amyone Dual-sporting their xr650r.