HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJONES

Aftermarket Tank

28 posts in this topic

I want a new larger fuel tank. Can anyone recommend one? I have heard that I need to change my seat to a YZ and use YZ scoops!? I have a 05 WR450. I also want to get the smog kit. Does the one from thumpertalk come with the jets and throttle stop screw or is there some place else to order one from?

Thanks

The Acerbis /GYT-R tank is real nice and no, you don't need to buy new "scoops" or a new seat.

The AIS block off kit from Thumpertalk is real nice but doesn't include the jets. The Yamaha GYT-R kit is the one that is sold with the pilot jet,needle and throttle stop.. The YZ throttle stop can be purchased for around 12 bucks and will fit your bike, or you can cut your stock to the exact length. Do a search for the length of the throttle stop, there are numerous threads regarding throttle stops.

Here's the GYT-R kit in all its glory:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/accessories/acscitem500/5/349/1222/5389/all/1/6228/0/main/itemdetail.aspx

Check with Clarke tanks. I have one. Love it.

http://www.clarkemfg.com/

Have you had any problems with it? What distance can you get out of the 10.6l? My calculations are that you can get only about another 20kms out of it over standard @ 12.5km/L fuel ecomony. Tank looks nice though!

Have you had any problems with it? What distance can you get out of the 10.6l? My calculations are that you can get only about another 20kms out of it over standard @ 12.5km/L fuel ecomony.
Matty, no problems at all. It is a nice piece of craftsmanship. Went on like a dream, using all stock parts. I dont know about the range, I bought it because I wanted a black tank. Mine only has like .2 gallons more than stock, so range is about the same for all practical purposes.

Matty, no problems at all. It is a nice piece of craftsmanship. Went on like a dream, using all stock parts. I dont know about the range, I bought it because I wanted a black tank. Mine only has like .2 gallons more than stock, so range is about the same for all practical purposes.

Black tank, I see! I have seen your bike, looks very sexy! :applause:

I have the clark-- wish it was a bit bigger-- some regret that I did not get a IMS or another one that is bigger :applause:

I have been reading some of the discussions about Acerbis (GYT-R) vs IMS.

I see Acerbis is better built but is high on top, but IMS is lousy built but sits lower.

I would rather ride with IMS, beeing able to go further to the front of the bike, but would not like to spend money on something that is not well built.

Has anyone heard about planned improvements on the IMS tanks ?

Acerbis , i need the extra gas it holds while riding/living in Baja, also, it has 2 petcocks so that's a nice feature, you dont have to tilt your bike to get the fuel on the other side of the tank..

My 2 pesos

I have installed the Acerbis 3.4 Gal (12.8Liter) tank in blue on both my 2003 and 2006 WR450F's. You do not notice the little bit of extra height to the tank and I like the narrow feel of the tank, same as stock. Also, the top most fuel is used first. :bonk: The GYT-R tank is built by Acerbis. Yamaha charges more money for their tank. The Acerbis tank is very well made. It has two petcocks, you can pull out the choke and the right-hand petcock and fuel line are away from the exhaust header, so there is no problem with fire, (can you say IMS? ). You do not need a new seat for 2003-2006 bikes and you do not need new radiator shouds for 2005-2006 bikes. You will need YZ radiator shrouds for 2003 and 2004 bikes. My assessment --- a very nice product.:applause:

Matty05,

The Acerbis /GYT-R tank can be used on either YZ or WR 450F models. The tank has two threaded holes where the seat post can be installed. One hole is for a YZ seat the other is for a WR seat.

I have the largest natural color Acerbis tank on my 99 WR 400 and It is higher but I just dont fill it up past half for one day trips, I have logged 165 miles on one of these tanks full. I know sounds crazy but true. I love the options to fill and go forever or only fill half way and not worry about the added weight. In fact, since the tank sits lower than the stock one, if its half full (same gas as a stock thank full) I feel that its actually better than stock because the same amount of gas is in a lower position and not up so high controling the bikes weight. Just me opinion though.

Matty05,

The Acerbis /GYT-R tank can be used on either YZ or WR 450F models. The tank has two threaded holes where the seat post can be installed. One hole is for a YZ seat the other is for a WR seat.

Sorry man, couldn't read :bonk:

Probably pissed again! :applause:

Missed it twice....... :cry:

I have installed the Acerbis 3.4 Gal (12.8Liter) tank in blue on both my 2003 and 2006 WR450F's. You do not notice the little bit of extra height to the tank and I like the narrow feel of the tank, same as stock. Also, the top most fuel is used first. :cry: The GYT-R tank is built by Acerbis. Yamaha charges more money for their tank. The Acerbis tank is very well made. It has two petcocks, you can pull out the choke and the right-hand petcock and fuel line are away from the exhaust header, so there is no problem with fire, (can you say IMS? ). You do not need a new seat for 2003-2006 bikes and you do not need new radiator shouds for 2005-2006 bikes. You will need YZ radiator shrouds for 2003 and 2004 bikes. My assessment --- a very nice product.:applause:

Baja, you are no fool at all.... :bonk: