Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SLOSupermoto

Lubrication

21 posts in this topic

What oil do you guys run, and how often do you change it?

I am about to finish up the rebuid/restoration of my 99 wr 400, and have converted it to a Street Legal Supermoto :bonk::cry::cry:, now that I spent this much time and money on it, I'd like to keep it tits :applause: (mechanically and cosmetically). I will hopefully be riding this daily so needless to say oil changes will consume much of my time, I already got the stainless steel mesh filter (from scotts ) that claims it's the last oil filter you'll buy (better be @ almost $40 ). My main question was regarding oil, what kind of oil do you run, and whats the most "bang for your buck", My girlfriend works (delivers) for an auto parts store here in San Luis Obispo (westside auto), so if anyone knows of some high quality oil availible through auto parts stores (and they carry more than most like napa, kragen, etc...) It would really help.

I'm not trying to cut any corners here, just save some dough as a starving college student. Besides money I save here can be spent on dope stuff, like punching out the old 400 to something a little more competitive :cry:

I am running AMSOIL in mine.

As the engine oil also lubricates the clutch be careful not to use an oil with additives that may cause your clutch to slip.

I change my oil every 500kms, thats about every 5 tanks of fuel for my '05.

I use Motul 5100 15W50 semi synthetic, it costs me $50 for 4L. The fully synthetic stuff costs twice the price.

If your girl has access to all the toys for boys, I have heard that the shell rotella or mobil gold cap stuff is good.

Any other reccomendations out there? (although the shell does sound like a deal, what does it cost?) :applause:

$14/gallon at Wal-Mart.

Mobil-1 15w50 is probably the most or second most popular oil at about $5.50/qt

Matty.... $50 for four litre meaning $50 US? That's insane, especially for a synth blend.

If I buy Mobil MX4T fully synthetic 10w40 at the motorcycle shop, it's $10/qt, but if I buy it at Wal-Mart or Autozone it's only about $8.

Matty.... $50 for four litre meaning $50 US? That's insane, especially for a synth blend.

Nah, Australian. Everything here costs so much more than the USA. Even $50 australian insane, but what can you do? Motul fully synthetic (300 series) costs $100 for 4 litres. I can't justify the price difference to go fully synthetic. Car oils are not much cheaper here, I don't really have access to them anyway. I get everything sent up to me.

Heck, just riding pants (fox 360's, thor core...) cost $300 Australian! :applause:

I have only found that suspension tuning costs less here :bonk: you guys must be getting ripped off!

Hmm.... $300.... $223 US, ya... that's about $50 more than I'd expect to see.

For some reason, I was thinking that Aus was "stronger" than the dollar (I was thinking of something like 2:1 where your $50 would be my $100)... so $50 is $37US. A little over double what I'd expect for a Group-III synthetic like Rotella 5w40... but it's a petroleum product so I'm sure taxes play a large roll in that price difference.

How much would something like Mobil-1 15w50 or Rotella 5w40 run?

synthetic car oils like mobil 1 from what I can remember is about $50 - $80 here.

It ain't tax, it is greed. People like to blame freight, but it is cheaper for me to buy stuff from the states and send it over here. My girl buys perfume and all that other crap from over there. It is less than 1/2 price than here.

Renthal fat bars in nearly all bike shops cost $200. The 7/8 renthals are less than $100 which is resonable. They both cost what, $60 over there?

Ehh.. haven't priced Renthals, but ProTaper fatbars are about $100.

I was thinking that I could make a killing shipping you gallons of oil, but customs would probably nail us and there goes the savings.

i think mobil 1 , your looking around $60 for 4 Litres

im using motul same as Matty, has esters in it which seems cool, ?? haha

Ehh.. haven't priced Renthals, but ProTaper fatbars are about $100.

I was thinking that I could make a killing shipping you gallons of oil, but customs would probably nail us and there goes the savings.

Not just oil, Dirtbike parts in general!

i think mobil 1 , your looking around $60 for 4 Litres

im using motul same as Matty, has esters in it which seems cool, ?? haha

Best for the price! Just sux that cost so much..........

I use Mobil 1 MX4T fully synthetic motorcycle oil. It can be had at Wal-Mart for about $7.50US/Quart. Supposedly it is formulated for use with wet clutches.

I use Mobil 1 MX4T fully synthetic motorcycle oil. It can be had at Wal-Mart for about $7.50US/Quart. Supposedly it is formulated for use with wet clutches.

It is identical to V-Twin except it's a 10w40 instead of a 20w50.

V-Twin is virtually identical to 15w50 automotive:

m1-summary.jpg

What oil do you guys run, and how often do you change it?

I am about to finish up the rebuid/restoration of my 99 wr 400, and have converted it to a Street Legal Supermoto :bonk::cry::cry:, now that I spent this much time and money on it, I'd like to keep it tits :applause: (mechanically and cosmetically). I will hopefully be riding this daily so needless to say oil changes will consume much of my time, I already got the stainless steel mesh filter (from scotts ) that claims it's the last oil filter you'll buy (better be @ almost $40 ). My main question was regarding oil, what kind of oil do you run, and whats the most "bang for your buck", My girlfriend works (delivers) for an auto parts store here in San Luis Obispo (westside auto), so if anyone knows of some high quality oil availible through auto parts stores (and they carry more than most like napa, kragen, etc...) It would really help.

I'm not trying to cut any corners here, just save some dough as a starving college student. Besides money I save here can be spent on dope stuff, like punching out the old 400 to something a little more competitive :cry:

I run Yamalube in my 04 WR450 and change it about every 400 miles