HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nothingleft

She doesn't like to start.....

7 posts in this topic

I have the 2006 WR450 with the stock jets in it as listed here:

Main Jet = 165

Pilot Jet = 45

Pilot Air Jet = 80

Starter Jet = 65

Leak Jet = 50

I went for a ride this past weekend and she did not want to start. The bike had been in the back of the truck enduring the cold rain for 3 hours previous to the ride. I had to bump start it to get it going. So far, I have installed the TT AIS kit, PMB exhaust insert and removed the snorkel. It is still backfiring and popping like crazy. What should I do to help resolve the issues?

Try adjusting the pilot screw, see if it has any effect.

What's your temp and elevation?

Try adjusting the pilot screw, see if it has any effect.

What's your temp and elevation?

The temp was about 55F and the elevation was 1,000 ft.

Sounds like you need to go bigger across the board. Start with a #70 starter jet and a #48 pilot jet. See how it works. You'll probably need a bigger main as well (maybe #170), and I'm not sure if you have an adjustable needle or not, but if so, try lowering the clip (raise the needle to richen) one groove at a time. As with all jetting changes, do one at a time so you can see what the effect is.

I have the 2006 WR450 with the stock jets in it as listed here:

Main Jet = 165

Pilot Jet = 45

Pilot Air Jet = 80

Starter Jet = 65

Leak Jet = 50

I went for a ride this past weekend and she did not want to start. The bike had been in the back of the truck enduring the cold rain for 3 hours previous to the ride. I had to bump start it to get it going. So far, I have installed the TT AIS kit, PMB exhaust insert and removed the snorkel. It is still backfiring and popping like crazy. What should I do to help resolve the issues?

I bought the JD Jet Kit and installed the170 main jet with the blue needle in the #5 position and my zip-ty fuel screw is 1 3/4 turns out. Bike starts perfect NOW (didn't when I bought it) and all the popping and backfiring is gone! Last weekend I was at about the same elevation at a couple of degrees warmer.