2006 450 Will not run right

Guys 99% of the problems guys are having are simple jetting issues!Yes I'm sure there are a few other cases but as a whole it's jetting!I had the same problem everybody seems to have when I got mine,popping on d-cel,hard to start etc,etc!I went straight to a 48 pilot,and that fixed most of it!Then moved the clip and that took care of the rest.ktmscott,I also have had every year yzf since they came out,and I can honestly say this is the best one yet!It will even smoke my sons 03 with a yosh pipe on it and ppl seem to agree that the 03 was the hardest hitting of the bunch!Hang in there when it's right it is a blast!!!!! :applause:

No wonder Reed is sucking this year.

hall of fame..for stupidest thing I've read so far this morning.

48 Pilot 170 main....that is the place to start, why is that so tough?

Guys 99% of the problems guys are having are simple jetting issues!Yes I'm sure there are a few other cases but as a whole it's jetting!I had the same problem everybody seems to have when I got mine,popping on d-cel,hard to start etc,etc!I went straight to a 48 pilot,and that fixed most of it!Then moved the clip and that took care of the rest.ktmscott,I also have had every year yzf since they came out,and I can honestly say this is the best one yet!It will even smoke my sons 03 with a yosh pipe on it and ppl seem to agree that the 03 was the hardest hitting of the bunch!Hang in there when it's right it is a blast!!!!! :applause:

Understood, Not giving up, at all, just a pain. So you left the main at a 165? You moved the clip down one notch right?

Thanks!

hall of fame..for stupidest thing I've read so far this morning.

48 Pilot 170 main....that is the place to start, why is that so tough?

I figured that would get some attention, a little sarcasim, don't take it personal, I'm a Reed fan. However he has a quite a few issues with his bike. I had a friend at the Phoenix Supercross last night taking pictures for me, it appears the plugged holes on the side cover are something he is using. I will post today if I get them.

I'm SO upset.

I have to replace 2 jets on a brand new bike to get it to run right!

Maybe it's due to the fact it's 30 degrees out?

I figured that would get some attention, a little sarcasim, don't take it personal, I'm a Reed fan. However he has a quite a few issues with his bike. I had a friend at the Phoenix Supercross last night taking pictures for me, it appears the plugged holes on the side cover are something he is using. I will post today if I get them.

Yeah post the pictures please. As far as Reed's bike issues he had several last year both on the 2-S and 4-S.

Don't worry my feelers weren't hurt.. :applause:

The best way to deal with the jetting issues is a dyno. I have had all my bikes jetted on a dyno. This does more than any other single mod for engine performance.

We typically get 1.5hp more on the 250s and 2-3 more on the 450s. I suppose you could do this by trial and error, but this is exact and quick.

Yea I just bought a brand new 03 YZ450F for the great price of $3700. out the door.It ran GREAT in the Yamaha Garage at 70 Deg. I was going to take it for a spin a couple weeks after I bought it. I kicked that think for atleast 30 minutes while popping through the exhaust (lean condition) I finally got it started it was missing and breaking up something fierce. I ordered a jet kit so maybe I can ride before the spring thaw 3 months from now. The temp here is in the mid 30 deg range.

I had the same problem with my YZF600R until I rejetted the carbs. The new smog standards make it tough to jet properly from the factory.

GREYCAT

WWW.YZF600R.com

Yamaha gives you jets when you buy the bike.

This sport may not be for you.

Well lets see Ive been riding for twenty years. I have four motorcycles and a four wheeler and never have been given jets on purchase. All of them have been tuned lean from the factory.

GREY

well after playing with the jetting all day this is what i got. BIG diff, lot more power. but still doesnt feel like the bike has the over rev like the 05.

48pj, needle 5th, 170mj. i have tried everything up to a 180. going to try some more soon. i am around sea level. 30-50 temp. and run 114 octain race gas 50/50.

i was suprised you could get to the needle with out even moving the carb.

I have a 2006 YZ450. I had the jetting on a dyno. We could not get it to crisply with the stock needle. We put in a NCYR needle, and with the clip at #2, 160 main, 45 Pilot, Fuel Screw at 1.75 it runs great. I think all you guys that are haviong trouble with th '06 and trying to get with the bigger pilot should look into replacing the needle with the above profile needle.

I've never had to rejet any bike before but had heard the 06 was lean and that the popping on dcel and the little bog off bottom was due to this. Asked burned in the jetting forum and for my altitude 2500- 5000ft and 30-60 deg out he said to go to a 48 pilot 1.5 turns on the screw, needle in stock position main is stock, and this feels really good. The bog is almost completely gone and so is the popping on dcel. The bike even feels like it pulls quite a bit stronger off bottom. I would have to agree that it is still hard to start when cold(30 deg) but heard that I can change the starter jet to a larger sixe to fix that. I'm using 92 pump gas.

oldron, what temp are you at ? thanks for the input. haasmx

Take it to a dealer who has an EGA machine and knows how to use it, it used to be a required tool for all Yamaha dealers

EGA's work great at idle,but are useless other wise with out a dyno.