2006 450 Will not run right

When I picked up a new 450 it did not run right. I seemed to be very lean to 1/3 throttle, on the main it runs great. The dealer put a 48 slow jet in. It still did not run right, but I wanted to break it in and have the jetting redone on a dyno.

On the dyno we could not get it to run. We checked: valves, TPS, Needle, and the fuel screw.

So the bike is back at the dealer and they don't know what to do.

Any commnets?

Wow, sounds like a DF dealer. I would suggest to take it to a different dealer first off.

Second, get the dealer to actually look in the Yamaha books for help. The Technical seminar books are great for tips on the bike like this:

Float bowl info

Really either go to another dealer or learn to fix the bike yourself. Sounds like the dealer you are at just plain sucks.

When I picked up a new 450 it did not run right. I seemed to be very lean to 1/3 throttle, on the main it runs great. The dealer put a 48 slow jet in. It still did not run right, but I wanted to break it in and have the jetting redone on a dyno.

On the dyno we could not get it to run. We checked: valves, TPS, Needle, and the fuel screw.

The bike didn't run right and the shop put a 48 Pilot Jet in, what was the bike doing to make you think it wasn't running right?

You than said they couldn't get it to run on the dyno after the jet change...didn't start or what?

You are absolutely right on this one. I have a 06 also, and when I went to test ride it, it was way lean on the bottom. So I backed the air screw out about 1.25 turns, and it ran ok, but still a little lean. Went to test it, and the dam needle, spring, washer, oring, vibrated out. Thank god the dealer is a good friend of mine, broke up a needle kit, then I bought the thumb wheel needle. I'm going with a 45 on the pilot first and see where this brings me, stock is a 42. I may go up one on the main as well, one thing at a time. I live in northern NJ, for reference on altitude.

This is interesting. Last Friday I brought home my new 06 and I tried kicking it forever and it wouldnt start ? . I had to push it up the street and pop start it and even that took a few tries. Finially when it was running (and it ran like crap) it would only run with the choke on . I putted it around the yard and it was popping and sputtering and seemed to be running hot Granted the bike was new and not broken in yet but still. So I immediatly went back to the shop and got a 170 MJ and 48 PJ, put them in and bam, first kick started right up :bonk: and seemed to be much happier. I havent ridden it extensively yet but i think for now this will help anyone who is trying to get their 06 running right (that doesnt have valve seating issues :applause: )

You are absolutely right on this one. I have a 06 also, and when I went to test ride it, it was way lean on the bottom. So I backed the air screw out about 1.25 turns, and it ran ok, but still a little lean. Went to test it, and the dam needle, spring, washer, oring, vibrated out. Thank god the dealer is a good friend of mine, broke up a needle kit, then I bought the thumb wheel needle. I'm going with a 45 on the pilot first and see where this brings me, stock is a 42. I may go up one on the main as well, one thing at a time. I live in northern NJ, for reference on altitude.

Don't bother with the 45 Pilot, go straight to the 48. I'm at 5,000 feet and thats what I'm runnin. I would also suggest up one on the main temperature pending. Just want to help a brother out.

Going to put new jets in tonight, will let you guys know how I make out. They give you main jets, but you need to purchase if your dealer does not giver out pilot's. My dealer just gave them to me, great dealer, thats mostly why I ride Yamaha, the other dealers suck when it comes to stuff like that.

I have a 45,48, and 50 pilot. I'll post my results here. Seems to be an issue with not jut the ones I read on here, but other places also.

Well, I put the 45 in, not much of a difference. So I went to a 48, a little better. I honestly could not see the big difference between the two, except the starting was much better. I could not see putting in a bigger main, since it runs great on top. I have to say that the radiators were a bit warm after blowing around in the fields by me, probably normal. Any suggestions are welcome.

Have a good weekend.

hmm. :bonk: i went to go break in my 06 450 today, and it was running poor, LEAN, and it back fired like crazy on D-cell, (when i shot down the throttle.)

i had a dealer rep. tell me that the bikes are jetted super lean this year. he said to bump up every thing. to a 48pj raise the needle, 5th clip. and a 180mj. 180 seems a little big.

today the bike didnt even run close to as strong as my 05. for tmrw i am trying a 45 pj and i raised the needle one. stock main. i hope it works.

also the ti header's on the 06 bikes. what color is your now? my 05 stock only changed to a dark blue. the 06 is changing like my PC TI systim to a white, yellow, green, blue, purple. :applause:

hmm. :bonk: i went to go break in my 06 450 today, and it was running poor, LEAN, and it back fired like crazy on D-cell, (when i shot down the throttle.)

i had a dealer rep. tell me that the bikes are jetted super lean this year. he said to bump up every thing. to a 48pj raise the needle, 5th clip. and a 180mj. 180 seems a little big.

today the bike didnt even run close to as strong as my 05. for tmrw i am trying a 45 pj and i raised the needle one. stock main. i hope it works.

also the ti header's on the 06 bikes. what color is your now? my 05 stock only changed to a dark blue. the 06 is changing like my PC TI systim to a white, yellow, green, blue, purple. :applause:

I agreee with the backfiring on decel, I have that too. I am going to bump up the main to a 170 provided with the bike, stock is 165. Rasing the clip is a bit of work, I can change main and pilot with carb in place. I made a few tools to help with that. I'll try that first, not going to do everything at once, I want to make sure that I find exactly whats going on here. Whats bothering me is that the one guy in here had a valve issue? Thats messed up! Never had this much trouble with a new bike, ever!, I have had four of these bikes, this is the fifth. No wonder Reed is sucking this year. Also, where is it that you live? Altitiude plays a big part in this. Whats even better, is that it starts fairly easy now, but, dam, it took forever to get thing started when I finally put it together! The header pipe is blue. Dose your bike bike run great on choke? Obviously there is a problem with the jetting, because there are other sites with people experiancing the same issues. "Big Blue is Back" , with hopefully this as the ony problem. Hope fully someone from Yamaha will get wind of this and post an answer for those of us having this difficulty.