Z- Start for Desert Riding on XR650R?

I have been checking out the threads on the Rekluse z-start clutch and searched other sites as well. Everyone seems to sing praises for this clutch in the "tight woods sections" and in the "tricky technical stuff" or "tight cornering". What I do not see is the "balls to the wall" desert riding. We are talking high dunes , soft sand, long rutted tracks, high temperatures, low speed in sucking sand and high speed runs. A lot of work for a clutch and a lot of spinning wheels, until you get "on top" of the sand. Surely the guys on the Dakar rally, or the Baja 1000 would be looking at these clutches if they were so good? (...maybe they do?) It reminds me of the synthetic oil adverts on TV , absolutely fool proof!, ride your car with no oil! , freeeze your engine and start it first time!!, doesn't burn at high temperatures etc.. etc...... how come you do not see the Formula 1 Racers using these oils or any other racers of note for that matter... makes you think doesn't it.

Has anyone tested these clutches out in these kinds of conditions and would anyone recomend or condem these clutches. How robust are they and what would their "life expectancy" be?

Maybe these are as good a product as all seem to say... I don't know...it just seems too good to be true... you know ..."paid advertising" ...!!!

I need some good candid, and honest reponse so I can make an educated decision to buy or not to buy. By the way I have a 2004 XR650R and love it!!! Best desert bike!

I think it would be a waste of money on a desert 650. The bike has so much torque that you rarely need to touch the clutch at anytime except starting out.

Same goes for the tight stuff. As long as you gear the bike down there is no need to even touch the clutch.

Some guys have them and love them (see qadsan). I think the money would be better spent elsewhere on the 650.

If you were riding a "little bitch" bike like a 450 or 525........then it might be worth it. :applause:

Hey,

As I understand it, it is simply a centrifugal engagement. I can see how it may be of benefit if you were using the stock 14/48 gearing in super tight and technical trails. However, a 13T front sprocket for ~$30 will alleviate your clutch problems while in the tights. As for any other conditions, I really don't see the point, it simply wouldn't get used. For the money, I just don't see it happening. If I won the lottery, bought everything I ever wanted for the 650R, an automatic clutch would be the last thing on my list.

On a separate clutch note. I stumbled onto some info somewhere that was mentioning clutch pull on 650R. It's pretty stiff. In regards to the clutch lever, the Magura hydraulic clutch pull forces were ~10lbs vs. stock at ~16lbs. Now that sounds like something that would come in handy while doing some heavy duty riding.

I have a Z-Start on my XR650R. I rode without one for years and didn't have a problem. Once I installed the Z-Start it made the tight stuff so much easier. I don't notice it as much in the desert sands and loamy soil covered with desert grass. Except when I stop on a loose hill and restart without digging in or on steep hardpan with a covering of loose rock and shale I find it much easier to make the climb with less spinning the rear wheel on the loose surface.

Keep in mind that I am not a racer and only hold high speeds for short distances but the Z-start does seem to help me with my riding style in some situations on the desert. It is more noticable in the tight technical stuff in the woods and rock infested desert ravines.

The Z-Start is not the first major mod I bought for my XR650R. There came a point after installing an Electric starter, Edelbrock Carb, Stage 1 Hotcam, Stabilizer, Grip heaters and such that the Z-Start just seemed like the only thing left I wanted to try . I have been very happy with it.

On a separate clutch note. I stumbled onto some info somewhere that was mentioning clutch pull on 650R. It's pretty stiff. In regards to the clutch lever, the Magura hydraulic clutch pull forces were ~10lbs vs. stock at ~16lbs. Now that sounds like something that would come in handy while doing some heavy duty riding.

isn't it the Magura the clutch that requires Mineral Spirits? I've been looking trying to find Brembo clutches for the 650, KTM is now using them instead of Magura IIRC.