Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DualSport650

Whoa! Brakes don't work!

7 posts in this topic

Hey TT'ers,

So today I fired up the BRP for the first time in about 5 weeks.

It's been snowing here in Bend, Oregon so the mega thumper has just been sitting in the garage while I suffer from "cabin fever."

Anyway, I get on the bike an ride off down the street. (my bike's dualsported) :bonk:

When I get to the first stop sign I go to grab the front brake lever and the brake doesn't work. The lever pulls back all the way to the handlebar and I almost T-bone a car! No front brakes! :cry:

Why in the world would that happen? It's a new rotor, new pads, etc. I inspect everything and it's all good to go. But, I did notice on my last ride about 6 weeks ago that the front brake lever needed to be pulled back a lot to get the brake to work.

It must be a lack of brake fluid, yes? But, I see no leaks and no puddle of brake fluid in the garage.

Weird.

Anyway, let me know how I should fix this. :applause:

Thanks...

ya might wanna bleed your breaks

Hey TT'ers,

So today I fired up the BRP for the first time in about 5 weeks.

It's been snowing here in Bend, Oregon so the mega thumper has just been sitting in the garage while I suffer from "cabin fever."

Anyway, I get on the bike an ride off down the street. (my bike's dualsported) :bonk:

When I get to the first stop sign I go to grab the front brake lever and the brake doesn't work. The lever pulls back all the way to the handlebar and I almost T-bone a car! No front brakes! :cry:

Why in the world would that happen? It's a new rotor, new pads, etc. I inspect everything and it's all good to go. But, I did notice on my last ride about 6 weeks ago that the front brake lever needed to be pulled back a lot to get the brake to work.

It must be a lack of brake fluid, yes? But, I see no leaks and no puddle of brake fluid in the garage.

Weird.

Anyway, let me know how I should fix this. :applause:

Thanks...

If you DID brake work and pushed the pads out with a screwdriver all you needed to do to get them to work properly is pump the lever a few times.

I did the brake work about 2 months ago so it sounds like I need to bleed the brakes.

I just find it odd that the brake got so messed up so quick! :applause:

I did the brake work about 2 months ago so it sounds like I need to bleed the brakes.

I just find it odd that the brake got so messed up so quick! :applause:

Very wierd.

Hello,

I have had mine out in the weather. When I went to ride it, the BRP did the same thing to me. I had to pump the brakes a number of times to get them to work again. I don't know what caused it besides the temperature extremes. Tony