HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strattos

Fifth gear slipping?

13 posts in this topic

My riding mate (he's got an 03 wr450) has just started having what we're hoping are clutch problems and not expensive gearbox problem.

While in 5th gear under load the bike sounds/feels like the clutch is slipping.

At first we though it might be jumping out of gear because of how suddenly it happens, but its not just free revving, its more of a slip. You back off and slowly accelerate again and you're ok - its just when you accelerate hard in 5th.

The strange thing is it only happens in 5th. I would have thought if the clutch was slipping it would more likely happen in the lower gears where there's more torque.

If you're just accelerating gently in 5th its fine. It's only when you accererate hard.

Any clues?

No it will slip in higher gears first as it is under a greater load.

Make sure there is some free play in the lever. He may have it adjusted to tight.

If not it's time for some new plates.

Jeez i had it arseabout. Thanks. Should be easy sailing from here...his wallet thanks you.

Cheers.

Jeez i had it arseabout. Thanks. Should be easy sailing from here...his wallet thanks you.

Cheers.

Fixed?

interesting enough my new 06 wr450 had the same problem at 400kms on it!it felt like it was fuel starved,then as i rode it more it was apparent it was slipping...replaced the springs and it was fine.(dealer did it for free).i ride it as a motard on the street so its easy to detect it.

Could you repair it?

I´m having the same problem, but I´m thinking that my problem y in the gearbox. When it is idle, it produce an rare sound, like a gear traing to in!!!. But in 5th, jump a return, around 80 or 90 km/h. In other gear all is OK. My problem is only in 5th gear.

I don´t know what the hell is happening!.

i had this problem but in third and just got it fixed... it is from not using the clutch and the shift fork is getting ground down and messing with the gears. get it fixed as soon as possible... it will just get worse

Turns out in this case, it wasn't the clutch as there was freeplay.

He took it into the local dealership and they reckon its the gearbox, but won't know specifically what the problem is until they tear it down.

They're quoting him as much as $2500 worse case scenario!!!

Then they claim its a common problem. I've got an 02 426 with more Ks on it and mine hasn't missed a beat.

Both of us bought our bikes second hand. Guess my previous owner was a bit easier on the gearbox.

it cost me $1400. one of the gears ground into a shifting fork causing it to slip and ruin another gear along with something else. (cant remember what the guy called it) lol but it is caused by not using the clutch when shifting. this is what the yamaha tech told me when i picked up my bike...

I found freeplay in the shift fork #2. Between the pin and the bracket. REPLACE OR REPAIR IT????????

I had the same problem on an XR600. It was jumping in and out of gear under load and felt like the chain was jumping the teeth on the rear sprocket. I must have dropped the bike on the shifter and bent the 2nd gear shift fork. This meant the dogs were not engaging all the way in (2nd gear locks into 5th to give 2nd gear) so I stuffed 2nd and 5th gears. I fixed it by replacing the 2 gears and bending the shift fork back. It worked perfectly after that but I made sure the wear pads on the shift fork were not worn out of spec and also that both pads were true and perpendicular to the shifter shaft which it was mounted on. I noticed when it was bent that one arm of the fork was bent more than the other. Make sure your fork isn't worn too far beacuse if it is it will allow the gear to float out and will start slipping again. Also make sure the dogs are fully engaging before you put the cases back together by dummying it all up and checking the gear's freeplay. Changing gears without the clutch is also a common cause of worn dogs on XR600's.

I must have dropped the bike on the shifter and bent the 2nd gear shift fork. This meant the dogs were not engaging all the way in (2nd gear locks into 5th to give 2nd gear) so I stuffed 2nd and 5th gears.

This is exactly what happened in this case, except i think it was different gears. We ended up taking it to a local mechanic who works from home and wrenches for one of our leading motocross riders here.

He said the knock to the shifter could have been a while a go, and it just progressively wore out the gears due to them not engaging properly.

Thanks for the input fellas.