HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glassyjeep

Xr 500 - 600

12 posts in this topic

Looking at a couple of mid '80's XRs. Am I asking for trouble buying a 20 year old bike? Are parts still around? Anything to be particulary aware of on these bikes? Oh, and Happy New Year!

Thanks

-glassy

I don't know much about 500s. The 600 has a weak gear (2nd or 3rd) in 86-87. They are also a little harder to tune due to the dual carb setup. The kickstart decompression system has to be carefully adjusted otherwise it can kick pretty hard. And the rear drum brake is weak. I believe they are also about 10 lbs heavier than the 90 and newer bikes. As for parts, every year the parts get harder to find. I would stick with a 90 or newer because they didn't change much from 1991-2000.

Ive got an 83 XR500 a guy gave me. The dual carb thing isnt as tough as what a lot of folks say. They dont get syncronized at all so your left with jetting and that's just as straight foward as any other carb. The parts are all pretty much available and a lot of stuff bolts on from later bikes too. If you were out looking to buy, Id buy a later one since its just a better bike. But if you ran accross an older one that was dirt cheap, buy it!

That old XR Ive got will start on the second or third kick ice cold and first when warm. And its got a bad coil...the spark is so weak and tiny and red Im surprised it runs at all, but it runs pretty damn good...It'll buzz down the freeway at 70 without a problem. Ya, I put a plate on it :applause: And it gets 60 mph...

Ok I goofed. This one is actually an XL. As far as cheap, I wish I could find one around at the right price. This dealer is asking $1600. That's a lot for a 20 year old bike but, they are few and far between around here. (Iowa) It probably deserves a closer look.

VP275494_1.jpg

Wow, that's a clean looking bike! But $1600 is a lot for that old of a bike. Maybe you can get them to drop the price a few hundred dollars. If not, I'd keep looking for a newer bike.

Wow, that's a clean looking bike! But $1600 is a lot for that old of a bike. Maybe you can get them to drop the price a few hundred dollars. If not, I'd keep looking for a newer bike.

I agree, you should be able to get a decent mid 90's XR600 for that.

Hi,

I looked-up the value in the NADA website for a 1986 XR600R and it was around

$300.00...So, that's what the pros will pay one of them.

Rgds,

Bob East

Yup, I saw that too. $290. It's like the sum of the parts is worth less than if it were parted out! Sure seems to be a bunch of them in the West but slimmer pickens around the Midwest.

Hi,

I looked-up the value in the NADA website for a 1986 XR600R and it was around

$300.00...So, that's what the pros will pay one of them.

Rgds,

Bob East

Maybe, but in my world they go for around $1200 and up.

I had an 83 XL600. It was the funnest damn thing....I got into more trouble on that bike. When the motor is fresh, you can pull the front wheel up in 5th gear on the freeway and just wheelie away to your hearts desire...

That bike is worth every penny of 1000 bucks especially if its that clean.

By the way, My 83 XL was $2235 OTD in 1983. If that bike has less than 4 or 5 thousand miles on it, its worth $1600 on inflation alone.

The bike in the picture looks brand new.