HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XRsteve

How big of a rear tire on a 650L?

24 posts in this topic

Does anybody use a Dunlop 606 tire 130/90 18 on their 650L? If so, does the chain guard have to be removed? I am thinking about getting one soon, but it looks like it would be a tight fit on the chain side to get any bigger than a 120. Also, is the rim too narrow for the 130?

Good choice

i have that exact tire on my L. Works great, in fact I think they are the best dot knob for my conditions.

FYI you can fit the 140 with zero mods also.

Travis

I've also run a 140 on my '95 650L.. The only problem I had what that the clearance wasn't adequate between that chain mud guard (that rides over the top of the chain) and the tire. So when I got into some sloppy sticky clay, it built up on the tire sort of trashed the front of my original chain guard. I don't remember losing any sleep over it though.

I prefer the handling of a 110 or a 120.. The 140 gave even better rear traction for the sand, and the front of the bike was even harder to control in the sand.

Why would I ride my 650L in the :applause: sand anyway???

So basically, I've run 140's and never had a real problem. :bonk:

I have a 120/80 606 on my 2003 XRL, and I had to trim the corner of the plastic chain guard where the tire would hit with a pair of tin snips. I haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered a 130/90 18 tire. onaXR, is that a homemade chain guard in the pic? It looks really good.

I have a 120/90 Dunlop 606 on the rear but don't run a chain guard. I would go for the Pirelli MT21 or something else with better off-road traction unless you stay on the street or maybe just a flat dirt road.

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered a 130/90 18 tire. onaXR, is that a homemade chain guard in the pic? It looks really good.

Yes it is my Dad does the machining for me. I have the rotor guard done too.

Thanks

AUT_2559.jpg

Would like to see pics of the rotor guard too. Nice stuff - Racy!

see above pic its the rear rotor.

You can get yourself a bit more room on the drive side by redishing the wheel. Simply loosen the drive side sopkes one turn, then tighten the brake side spokes one turn and the rim/tire will move over away from the chain guard. this will work on any motorcycle wheel. My wife's xr250l now accepts a 130/80x18 Michelin s12 in the rear.

Well, tomorrow I'll know the answer to my own question. I dropped off my wheels at my local honda shop and should have them back tomorrow. I'm going with a 90/90 21 front and a 130/90 18 in the rear. Both are dunlop D606. I can't believe these things have an 'R' speed rating! That's 106 mph, I think. I am also having them put in new heavy duty tubes, rimlocks and rear wheel bearings. And getting them balanced. I'm looking forward to trying them out. I'll let you all know what I think of them. Thanks for the help, guys.

I can't believe these things have an 'R' speed rating! That's 106 mph, I think.

Well, the tires might be R rated, but the bike, road surface, and/or pilot should be up to those conditions as well. :applause:

That rating just means the rubber or carcass shouldn't fly apart below its rated range.

Ok, I got my new tires yesterday. The Dunlop D606 in the rear is 130/90 18. It fits fine, but is pretty close to the chain guard. Once a little mud gets in there, it might break the guard, but I'll have to hit some mud to find out. Other than that, the bike seems a little squirrely on wet pavement, but I expected that. The tires definitely grab in the soft stuff much better than trailwings. Rides nicely on sidewalks, too.

Ok, I got my new tires yesterday. The Dunlop D606 in the rear is 130/90 18. It fits fine, but is pretty close to the chain guard. Once a little mud gets in there, it might break the guard, but I'll have to hit some mud to find out. Other than that, the bike seems a little squirrely on wet pavement, but I expected that. The tires definitely grab in the soft stuff much better than trailwings. Rides nicely on sidewalks, too.

XRsteve--

Care to share any pics of the rear tire and clearances? :applause:

I almost went D606, but got the MT21's instead.

Good idea going for the rim locks. You will need to air the D606's way down to bite on the loose/soft surfaces, especially if you want to do steep hill climbs.