Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YamahaYZ25098

Going 4 strokes (YZ250 to YZ450F)

2 posts in this topic

Hi over there, just welcoming 2006 with a bike change. I'm changing my 1998 YZ250 to ride a brand new 2006 YZ450F. If you have suggestions or hints on leaving 2 to 4 strokes, please reply - for now what I have is never to hit the rear brake without clutch in cause thumpers stall easily, and never turn the acel off when jumping as the motor drags the nose down much stronger than 2 strokes. Mostly MX track riding, some trail and hill climbing too. Only ridden a thumper on open trails, never on a track.

Let me read your comments, Happy New Year!!

I went from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke and back to a 2 stroke. That being said I rode the new 06 Yz450 this weekend and the change is not as dramatic as it used to be. The new thumpers have less compression braking , are lighter and more versatile.

You do have to keep the power on up the face of jumps but it is not as critical as it used to be. You will not go over the bars if you forget...it will be very easy for you you adjust to the way they jump.

In the power department you will have to get used to using the powerband. In 2002 when I went to a thumper I spent the first few months cursing the bike because I was trying to ride it like a two stroke. You do not (although you can) have to wind the 450 out. Once you find where the meat of the powerband is (on the 06 that is easy.....it's everywhere) you will learn how to shift the bike to get the most out of it on the track.

I think you will be very happy with the bike. Be patient and get used to the power you will be amazed...feels nice and smooth on the track.