Another argument to settle

now go easy on me- this is my 1st off road machine- I have had it a year and this has been a major learning experience- here is the issue

I have done all of the free mods on my 04WR450- I bought it new off the floor last year- I have not replaced the pipe-I only took out the baffle-Yep she is loud- but I only ride on private property. My riding partner bought an 06 WR450, did the mods, put a GYT-R pipe and jetted

My 04 runs great!! It starts every time, hot or cold, does not stumble, does not backfire, and when we switch bikes, the only difference I feel is the way the power is delivered, his does seem to come a little quicker. When I look at my plug, it does not look burnt or fouled.

I say I should leave well enough alone- I have some folks I ride with say jet. Who is right here? :applause:

Quite frankly I am a chicken when it comes to the jetting game- If I F-it up out comes the carb again,and again. :bonk: I do plan on getting the mixture screw and putting that in- I have been told that is more important than jetting- is that correct also?

If you dont like rejetting do this once. remove the carb from the bike and carefully rejet as follows using the detailed manual that came with the bike:

Put in a 170 main jet, stock needle in clip #4 from the top, 48 pilot jet, Zip Ty adjustable fuel screw set to 1.75 turns, 40 leak jet and a 72 starter jet. :applause:

could be that since you have done all the free mods and have not went to after market exhaust, your bike is running the best it can. I know that for me changing to after market exhaust made a big difference in the way the bike performed, especially when jetted right.

You can change a main or pilot jet in about ten minutes through the bowl drain and needle/clip position in 15 or 20 once you've done it once or twice. It's worth every second when you get it right.

I think this is the approach I would use for you. The needle is already in the 4th (and only) :applause: position, and all you would have to do is install the 170 main and 48 pilot from the bottom of the bowl by removing the access cap (I think it's a 17mm). You have a little cap covering your fuel mixture screw, you'll have to pop it off to get to it and you'll have to remove the float bowl to do this.

Re-jetting your carb. isn't that bad, buy a factory service manual it will be helpful and do a jetting search on TT, you'll find a lot of helpful information. Everything I've read the Boysen sounds like a good call.

My 04 runs great!! It starts every time, hot or cold, does not stumble, does not backfire, and when we switch bikes, the only difference I feel is the way the power is delivered, his does seem to come a little quicker. When I look at my plug, it does not look burnt or fouled.

If your bike is lean, it won't pick up speed easily. This could be why his feels faster than yours.

I say I should leave well enough alone- I have some folks I ride with say jet. Who is right here? :bonk:

Quite frankly I am a chicken when it comes to the jetting game- If I F-it up out comes the carb again,and again. ? I do plan on getting the mixture screw and putting that in- I have been told that is more important than jetting- is that correct also?

Fuel screw is jetting! It is mainly for the pilot circuit, but it does effect the whole throttle range.

There is a wealth of information here at your fingertips, with out the likes of Indy_wr450, my carby settings would have taken me ages to get. ?

They were very close, but each bike and the weather is different.

Take your time, learn about your bike and what everything does. It may well save you out on the trail. When testing your jetting, pay close attention to throttle position and what the bike is doing. Listen to the engine, if it stutters, it is rich. If it sounds asthmatic and does not build revs easy, it is lean. Keep a log of what each change does. It makes life much easier! Before long, you will be able to feel the difference between 1 jet size! :applause:

Thanks- I have a service manual already- It came with the bike- So on Tuesday I will be ordering the parts, and maybe the GYT-R muffler and head pipe- Thanks again
Don't worry about the head pipe just yet, It won't do much at all. Stock one is same as the YZ, which is good. Just the slip-on is needed for a big kick in the pants! (backside, not front! :applause:) A FMF powerbomb header would be better if you really want to replace the stock one, it should fit the GYT-R slip-on muffler too.

:applause: It's about time, not like you haven't heard this before. :bonk:

Let me know what you decide to do on the pipe....Then hold on 'cause that flat spot will be gone and it will rip, all things considered it should make a bit more power than mine.

Thanks- I have a service manual already- It came with the bike- So on Tuesday I will be ordering the parts, and maybe the GYT-R muffler and head pipe- Thanks again

Sorry brother- but the ONLY flat spot I saw was on the back of your head after our ride :bonk:

I figured I would get that in now- it more than likely will be the only time that happens :applause:

I am ready for the GYT-R aluminum pipe and the jets we talked about during the ride. Peace

he's got a 04 dan,they had an adjustable needle(that did come in the 4th stock). if ya want one its the DWR needle,the p# is STJ-14916-WR-00 :applause:

:bonk: Thought he had an 05....... My bad........ Oh, and I have the 04 needle........... Still in the 4th pos......... Should've left the 05 alone........