XR650L - to charge Battery - disconnect?

In the manual it says you have to disconnect the battery to charge it - is that true or can you just clip the cables to the hooked up battery. Thanks

Never disconnected mine, I use a small motorcycle charger/trickle charger.

D

In the manual it says you have to disconnect the battery to charge it - is that true or can you just clip the cables to the hooked up battery. Thanks

Not sure. But I hooked up a Battery Tender pigtail up to mine, and routed/ziptied the cable under the battery box so I can conveniently connect it to the charger.

Not sure why you'd need to disconnect the battery for a trickle/maintenance charge.

The higher voltage from a charger may damage electronic items on your bike, like your CDI unit. Many standard battery chargers have a sloppy DC current.

If you dont turn the ignition key on, you shouldn't have any problems.

It is just a precaution that the manual suggests.

The higher voltage from a charger may damage electronic items on your bike, like your CDI unit. Many standard battery chargers have a sloppy DC current.

If you dont turn the ignition key on, you shouldn't have any problems.

It is just a precaution that the manual suggests.

This is good information but I would dis-connect the negative cable to do anything more that a trickle charge.. Maintenance charge you can get away with, but if it's really low dis-connect the negative cable before charging.. Personally, I dis-connect, wouldn't you hate to buy a CDI unit because you were too lazy to take one bolt out ?? :applause:

In the manual it says you have to disconnect the battery to charge it - is that true or can you just clip the cables to the hooked up battery. Thanks

I've never disconnected mine when charging. It's always worked fine. I have been using a Battery Tender, which is a low-rate charge. Max output is 1.25 amps, lower than that for maintenance levels.

This is too funny. I just pulled my 650L battery out last week, and connected the charger tonight. I took it out because the manual recommends cleaning out the battery compartment every once in awhile. So I took it out, but there was no debris/missing paint. Still in good shape!

I removed mine so that I could charge it in a constant temperature environment. I'm not sure where you live, but I'm in Canada, so I didn't think it'd be so wise to be charging it at freezing/subfreezing temperatures, with pretty big temperature fluctuations.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now