HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluerock5

XR650L - to charge Battery - disconnect?

7 posts in this topic

In the manual it says you have to disconnect the battery to charge it - is that true or can you just clip the cables to the hooked up battery. Thanks

In the manual it says you have to disconnect the battery to charge it - is that true or can you just clip the cables to the hooked up battery. Thanks

Not sure. But I hooked up a Battery Tender pigtail up to mine, and routed/ziptied the cable under the battery box so I can conveniently connect it to the charger.

Not sure why you'd need to disconnect the battery for a trickle/maintenance charge.

The higher voltage from a charger may damage electronic items on your bike, like your CDI unit. Many standard battery chargers have a sloppy DC current.

If you dont turn the ignition key on, you shouldn't have any problems.

It is just a precaution that the manual suggests.

The higher voltage from a charger may damage electronic items on your bike, like your CDI unit. Many standard battery chargers have a sloppy DC current.

If you dont turn the ignition key on, you shouldn't have any problems.

It is just a precaution that the manual suggests.

This is good information but I would dis-connect the negative cable to do anything more that a trickle charge.. Maintenance charge you can get away with, but if it's really low dis-connect the negative cable before charging.. Personally, I dis-connect, wouldn't you hate to buy a CDI unit because you were too lazy to take one bolt out ?? :applause:

I've never disconnected mine when charging. It's always worked fine. I have been using a Battery Tender , which is a low-rate charge. Max output is 1.25 amps, lower than that for maintenance levels.

This is too funny. I just pulled my 650L battery out last week, and connected the charger tonight. I took it out because the manual recommends cleaning out the battery compartment every once in awhile. So I took it out, but there was no debris/missing paint. Still in good shape!

I removed mine so that I could charge it in a constant temperature environment. I'm not sure where you live, but I'm in Canada, so I didn't think it'd be so wise to be charging it at freezing/subfreezing temperatures, with pretty big temperature fluctuations.