yamaha yz450f or ktm 525sx

I'm going to buy a yz450f or a ktm 525sx, I want to use it for trail riding and riding wheelies. I want lots of fun power and a long lasting engine. Which would be better for the 2004 model ?

Welcome Tracy Allan.

2003 525 had a terrible suspension, especially forks, and a too light flywheel.

2004 was much better and they also went back to the heavier 2002 flywheel. The 525 power is smooth and very ridable. I have heard of some crank bearing issues on newer models, but it seems only pro riders who push the bike really hard have them. It is really a nice bike and ready for trails as it comes from factory, especially the EXC with electric start and lights.

It is 5-speed, has a juice clutch, Magura fatbars and a decent chain. It turns well but may give you occasional high speed headshake, therefore I recommend a steering damper.

The 450 Yamaha has a bullet proof engine, absolutely the most reliable of the big thumpers. You need a heavier flywheel on it for trails, at least you need to change a 50 tooth rear sprocket in order to reduce stalling issues since it is 4-speed and the 1st gear is a bit tall. But this will cost you on high speed.

Suspensionwise it is better than KTM, although I would recommend professional tuning/valving for your weight and riding style for both of the bikes, it will make a big difference!

It is very stable at speed, but may feel a bit top heavy. You can improve the handling and turning by setting the rear sag under 100 mm and raising the forks a little. It will still be stable in high speed.

Both bikes, like all thumpers, need regular low hour oil- and filterchanges. This is the best you can give them to keep them running for hours and hours.

Now, the traditional greeting:

stfunoob.jpg

:applause: