HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Team_Oatmeal_Pie

All Right I've Got To Come Clean On This!

14 posts in this topic

I have only checked my valves once on my 2000 WR400f.

I have raced the piss out of it, revved it to the moon, and generally road it like a race bike should. I always change the oil and filter and the only problem ever was 3rd and 4th gears let go at a WORCS race. Had the bottom end fixed up and slapped a new set of rings on it. Other then that it has been bulletproof, I keep reading posts about people messing with the valves after 10-20 hours on the bike and it makes me feel guilty, like I am slacking on the maintence, then I read the occasional post that says the valves are good to go for long periods of time. Their was a pretty good one on the YZ side recently. So whats the real deal on Valves, is their a diff between my 2000 and 2004, can I treat the 04 like the 00?????

I've got a 00 wr400f with over 20,000km, the valves have been adjusted only once as far as I know (bought it used)! Had some rattles but the counter balance key mod took care of that. Other than that I change the oil and crank the throttle.

My 400 Valve clearance was checked once only, they were in spec and I have not had one major problem with this bike.

My 450.......... I cannot keep these valves in spec for anything :bonk: I posted that I was looking at going with SS Valves in my 450 and people replied "why?The Titanium valves are better"

BS :cry: Titanium valves suck and I cannot wait to go Stainless, the only question now is to go oversized or not :applause:

I also have a 2000 WR400F. These bikes are extremely reliable. It is advisable to check the valves but, you will find that they rarely need adjusting. I handed it down to one of my sons who doesn't race so I imagine this bike will be in the family for years to come. :applause:

On a side note, we still have a 1986 TT350 that I bought new and it was passed down to all the kids as they were growing up and ridden to death yet, it still runs and we still have it. No sense in getting rid of it now. :bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk: I have a suspicion the WR will be just like that. :cry::cry::cry::p:lol::bonk:

All right now I dont feel so bad.

On a side note I notice my 400 has that midrange hit that suddenly kicks in and rips. I find the 04 450 is more linear, kinda miss that sudden warp speed hit.

My 400 is here to stay, I still ride it and use it as a buddy bike when out of towners show up.

Long live the 400 :applause::bonk::cry:

BS :cry: Titanium valves suck and I cannot wait to go Stainless, the only question now is to go oversized or not :applause:

Nothing wrong with titanium, just that the hardening doesnt penetrate as deep as on the steel ones.

Not a problem on Yamaha 's just your bike! :bonk:

Nothing wrong with titanium, just that the hardening doesnt penetrate as deep as on the steel ones.

Sounds like something's wrong there Matty :cry:

I know plenty of people in the same boat as me, Husky owners too. I don't care what anybody says, there is an obvious difference in valve maintenance and performance between the bikes of yester year with SS valves and the 450's of the day packin' Ti. If someone can convince me that this obvious difference is a result of something other than the raw material the valves are forged from, I am willing to listen. Until then, I'm valve shoppin' :applause:

I'm still trying to find someone that can tell me how much of a bang for my buck will I get if I go oversized? :bonk:

Sounds like something's wrong there Matty :cry:

I know plenty of people in the same boat as me, Husky owners too. I don't care what anybody says, there is an obvious difference in valve maintenance and performance between the bikes of yester year with SS valves and the 450's of the day packin' Ti. If someone can convince me that this obvious difference is a result of something other than the raw material the valves are forged from, I am willing to listen. Until then, I'm valve shoppin' :applause:

I'm still trying to find someone that can tell me how much of a bang for my buck will I get if I go oversized? :bonk:

Oh yeah, I hear you! Just that yamaha 's 5 valve head..... less force.... you get the picture.

SS better than Ti. 450's rev a lot more too, the lighter the valve train, the better the performance. It aint no XR600. SS valves wont help you if you are shimmed incorrectly.......

As for oversized valves, I have looked at the price people charge, pretty expensive! I guess to get the most out of them, a ported head and high comp piston and cams should be used.

Don't feel bad. I've got an 00 426 that I bought used a couple of years ago and haven't checked them yet. (2 seasons of racing/riding) I am not even sure if the previous owner did. My take is that if the bike is starting fine - both when the engine is cold and hot - Runs fine with no de-excel popping once the bike is warmed up (providing everything with the jetting is fine) than they are either within or close to spec. Watch - now that I said this, I am going to have a problem! Going to check them in the next couple of months and will know for sure. (This is one area that I am not familiar with since moving to a 4-Stroke and is probably the main reason I haven't checked them yet)

In regards to Ti - With newer 426's and 450's having the Ti's and with them being lighter, they are suppose to produce better response/performance. Whether Ti's require more or less maintenance than SS is probably a whole nother thread. I would think that with either one, they still need to be checked and maintained at intervals that depend on how much & hard the bike is rode. Ex. I could see where if the same model of bike was used for desert & Supermoto that it may require more maintenance than the same model that was used for tight trails/MX regardless if SS or Ti.

I don't know if Ti's require more maintenance or not and don't think I would replace Ti's for SS if my bike had them.

Just my .02 :applause:

As long as we are coming clean, I really dont even know what my valves are, much less where and how to check them. :applause: Now dont you feel better. :bonk:

B_n_B......you didn't just say that, did you?? :cry: As nice as your bike looks I always figured you would also be anal about the adjustments :cry:

B_n_B......you didn't just say that, did you?? As nice as your bike looks I always figured you would also be anal about the adjustments
Sorry man, but yes I did. :bonk: I am a work in progress. I am good friends with the top tech at our dealership, he has checked em. I try to jump in and learn when I can, but as a small business owner time is very hard to come by :cry: , so at times its cheaper(and easier) to have him do it(at home) than try to do it myself. Now guys, dont go flamin me :applause: , I want to learn it all, but it takes time. I didnt know anything about motorcycles 2 years ago, now I can do lots of work on them. I am still just a little nervous about engine, carb, and suspension. Without TT I would be a total loss. I am very anal about oil changes, air filter, ect. you know, the stuff even bone heads like me can do. I need to get some new pics up since I got my blue excel rear on and a new clutch cover and shifter. Looks pretty sweet.

So you are anal as I suspected, just don't do it yourself. That works too!! As long as it gets done :applause: