HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe_dirtbiker

what to use for a fork damper holder (03 WR450)

6 posts in this topic

I took my fork with the leaky seal apart last night. All went well enough til I got to the place where the manual called for a special tool, I forget the precise name, think it was a 'damper holder'. When I looked down the fork tube I could see that I need something like a 2ft long pipe (goes around the damper rod) with 4 teeth to hold the damper in place whilst I spin the bottom component. I hope I don't need to buy the actual tool. A reasonable facsimile would suffice.

How has anyone else resolved this issue? can I grind some grooves in a piece of 2" steel pipe and use that. Any good ideas? If I can't get the damper out, what's the best way to get all the dirty old fluid out?

Oh yeah, I know I need a tool for installing the fork seals. Anyone got a better idea than a piece of PVC cut in half?

You don't need to take off the dampner rod to replace the seals.

The cheap guy method of installing seals if you don't want to but the tool is to take the fork down to the shop and let them put them on for 10 bucks or so.

Thanks for the link to the motoman393 page, just what I needed. I didn't think PVC would be tough enough but I'll trust motoman393's experience.

By the time you need the damper holder, the fork seals have been removed.

I'm DIY to the core. Taking something to the shop just aint an option.

Thanks for the link to the motoman393 page, just what I needed. I didn't think PVC would be tough enough but I'll trust motoman393's experience.

By the time you need the damper holder, the fork seals have been removed.

I'm DIY to the core. Taking something to the shop just aint an option.

I hear ya.

I just noticed your sig is identical to mine, more or less. a good combo of bikes eh? :applause:

I've done the PVC thing. It works. I used 2" Schedule 40. Make it about 4" long and Cut it in half. Champfer or bevel the inside of the end that drives the seal with a file or dermal type tool. Clean it well. Then use 2 hose clamps and clamp it to the lower leg. Use the leg as a driver holding the PVC with your hand and the clamps. 2" worked perfect with mine. I don't know what the DIA is on the 03 forks.