HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
franktom

Broken kickstarter guide in the crankcase - am I screwed?

7 posts in this topic

The guide in the crankcase for the kickstarter shaft broke. It broke about 75% of the guide off at the base. Since the guide is cast into the crankcase is there any way for this to be repaired or am I screwed?

If you mean the cast aluminium part, then I'm sorry to say that you wil have a lot of trouble welding it back in. The problem is that aluminium is porous, goes brittle with age/heat(work hardens) and also manages to absorb a fair amount of the engine oil. When you try to weld it, all that happens is that is spits, pops and generally makes a real mess. At best it might just hold for a short while, but the only real solution is a replacement....sorry. Any other thoughts from the other guys???

According to my aluminum welding guru, another reason for the spitting

is that those cases are made of an aluminum/magnesium alloy and the

stuff is extremely difficult to weld. Also, if it ever catches fire, it can

be nearly impossible to extinguish.

Rgds,

Bob East

you might be able to have it bored out and put in a brass sleeve or you might get lucky and find a drill bushing the right size and have it pressed in.

The guide in the crankcase for the kickstarter shaft broke. It broke about 75% of the guide off at the base. Since the guide is cast into the crankcase is there any way for this to be repaired or am I screwed?

anyone else have this problem ? Any preventitive cures ? Will we all eventually have this break ?

I fixed a big chuck of missing case just under my flywheel cover on my 1979 Xs1100f with JB weld. I shaped it with a dye grinding tool and even drilled it and tapped a thread. I have read posts of people using JB weld to fix holes in clutch covers and cracks in cases.

Thanks for the great ideas guys! However, I don't think there is enough surrounding material to "hold" a sleeve or bushing. The guide is load bearing and is about 1-1/2" deep so I don't think that JB Weld will have sufficient strength - given the extent of the damage. It looks like my only two options are: 1) find a replacement crankcase or 2) part the bike out and sell it piece by piece. :applause: