How close is a YZ426f to a YZ450f power wise?

I want to buy a new 450 and i have a chance to ride a 426 and i want to know if the power will be about the same or will the 450 have tons more power?

Thanks Ryan

Very close, I hardly noticed any difference in power riding first my 04 450 and right after my old 02 426.

cool thanks i gonna ride a friends 02 426 tomarrow and decide if i want a 450

There's not a big difference. A few hp tops. I didn't notice much of a difference, power wise. Top heavy feel is a different story.

The ergos are totally different. Feels like the bike can actually corner compared to the 426 ergos.

Power will be similar, but a bit different. Much more grunt off the bottom which makes the midrange seem mellow compared to the 426. But overall more power for sure from idle to WOT. You find yourself really moving fast short shifting the bike more than what you could with the 426.

In numbers: about -2 hp and + 15 lbs. Pretty close.

I have the 01-YZ 426 and I've rode (many many laps) on a very close friends 450.

POWER

426 = Good bottom end, Good mid range, Lots of top end.

450 = GREAT EVERY WHERE. :applause:

I put a 12oz. flywheel weight on my 426 and that took care of the low-end stalling. The 450 doesn't need the flywheel weight. It never hinted at stalling even when lugged way down in the R.P.M. range.

Bone stock... To me the 426 acts more like a 2-stroke then the 450 does.

But they both have stump pulling power.

Boyd

I put a 12oz. flywheel weight on my 426 and that took care of the low-end stalling. The 450 doesn't need the flywheel weight. It never hinted at stalling even when lugged way down in the R.P.M. range.

Bone stock... To me the 426 acts more like a 2-stroke then the 450 does.

But they both have stump pulling power.

Sounds like you rode an '05. The '03 is more like a two-stroke than some two-strokes are. (that may be slightly overstated) The early 450's need flywheel weight to make them more controlable and let them hook up.

Do you think a heavier rider such as myself(275lbs) could use our own girth to act as a flywheel weight replacement and get better traction than lighter riders? In other words, is there more or less wheel spin for heavier rider? thanx

Well i rode the 426 today and man is that thing hard to start. it has so much compression and there is an art to starting it. i liked the power but it wasnt too much compared to my 250f (atleast in sand) i am gonna ride it again tomarrow and i hope its more packed so i can tell how much power it really has

Well i rode the 426 today and man is that thing hard to start. it has so much compression and there is an art to starting it. i liked the power but it wasnt too much compared to my 250f (atleast in sand) i am gonna ride it again tomarrow and i hope its more packed so i can tell how much power it really has

Did it have the 450 exhaust cam? If it didn't, it needs it. My 426 starts relatively easy.

I never had my 426 on a dyno, but it will smoke my buddies (stock) 03 450. The 13.5:1 piston made all the difference in the world. I just wish my 426 was 15 lbs lighter. :applause:

i have a 2000 yz 426, and to this day have not had a 450 beat me in the dirt or in the sand. just suck it up and learn how to start it.. it's easy!

My 02 yz426 has plenty of power for me and its stone reliable :applause::bonk:

The 426 doesn't rev out as fast, but has great tractable power. The mid-top is where the 426 really shines. I used to have an 02.

My 03 450 was almost impossible to ride slow (single trail stuff) with stock flywheel weight......got better after being weighted.....still a $hitty cowtrailer should have got the WR 450.....Oh well its still better than no bike at all....

Sounds like you rode an '05. The '03 is more like a two-stroke than some two-strokes are. (that may be slightly overstated) The early 450's need flywheel weight to make them more controlable and let them hook up.

'03 were awesome! the '05 were the most lame but '06 the best! :applause:

You didn't see a big difference in power between the 426 and 250 in sand?? :applause:

i have a 2000 yz 426, and to this day have not had a 450 beat me in the dirt or in the sand. just suck it up and learn how to start it.. it's easy!

I did learn how to start it and it was pretty easy after i got the technique down. i was the only one who could start that beast out of the 3 of us who were riding

My 426 starts great and has gobs of power. I'm scared of it. Really!!!

my '00 YZ426 had plenty of power stock. but i couldnt resist and added a few mods to make it a little more powerful. as it sits now, i can keep up or beat my buddies '06 WR450 with intake and exhaust mods(up until i top out at 85), beat a buddies '04 YZ450 with pipe and filter, and beat my buddies '04 CRF450 with a pipe. so, mine does O.K. powerwise. never had it on a dyno but id like to see 50hp. plus it first or second kick, every time.